Chapter Twenty Nine - Complications

Start from the beginning

"Yup. Used some of my connections. If he moves back, I don't want to use his money, so I'll just borrow the connections and make my own money," he shrugged. "On a side note, there's a launch party this weekend – they just released this year's line of ball gowns. Be my date?"

~*~

I wasn't sure what I had been thinking when I agreed to be Archer's 'date'. The brand was growing increasingly popular and although the clothing was admittedly high quality and I would love to have half of it in my wardrobe, it was undeniably unaffordable.

All the clothing in my wardrobe was casual; the only formal item was my year six graduation light blue chiffon dress, and that was about two sizes too small. I was going to have to spend Friday night rummaging through my wardrobe or shopping for something new, because the party was Saturday night at six, and he was picking me up at five.

Ella was convinced she had something I could wear, but last time I checked, all her knee length dresses would be mid-calf on me, and that would be very strange looking.

"Well, you can get it fixed – cut off some of it!" She suggested.

"I can't do that. I'd need to get someone to do the alterations, and that would cost money. I might as well go buy myself a dress so you can keep a proper length dress," I replied.

"Hey," Dean grinned at Ella, kissing her on the cheek.

"Hi," she replied.

"Please get a room. I'm going to throw up," I muttered. "I've got the rest of the week to work it out anyway; I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I farewelled the two lovebirds and was on my way out of the gym when I saw Ace. He looked at me and I waved. He walked over. "I hear you've cleared up the Jenny business," he said.

"I don't even know. Whatever."

"Anyway," he paused. "I don't think I've had a chance to say it, but...about the party, when I hugged you –" he began.

"It's okay. You were drunk. I get it. I won't think any more or less about it," I said.

He didn't say anything. He just nodded slowly, staring into the distance.

"Anyway, I'm going," I said. With a weak wave, I headed out of the gym towards the gate. The days were getting warmer and spring was on its way. It would then give way to summer, and soon, I would no longer see these familiar hallways, the gate, the basketball court.

I had always thought there'd be nothing to miss, because after all, Ella would probably still go to uni with me. Yet now, I realised, if anything, I would miss the people most. It was surprising that my final year could have changed in such drastic ways.

As I was about to leave, someone grabbed my arm. It was Hunter.

"I know why you're avoiding me," he said slowly.

I thought he said he could wait for an answer; I hadn't even thought about it properly. Or was he going to tell me now that it was a joke? Or maybe he was going to repeat it just in case I hadn't heard. A flurry of possibilities and scenarios flew through my mind.

I kept my mouth shut; admitting anything would be painstakingly embarrassing. "About the hug –" he probably heard my sharp intake of breath at that point. Why on earth was everyone talking to me about hugs today? "I totally do not take it back," he grinned. "So you're going to have to deal with it."

"Seriously Hunter?" I asked, folding my arms.

"Depending on your answer, I'll let you know if I take it back."

So apparently he was being serious.

"And about what Jenny said, I want to take you to parties just for fun. You're not using me, and I definitely don't think of it like that, so don't worry about it."

"Okay," I replied. "I'm going then," I said, not knowing what to say anymore.

"Can I have a hug?" He grinned, holding his arms out.

"No." I held my hands up as though summoning a force field.

The feeling of his arms wrapped around my shoulders came back in an instant, the familiar feeling of warmth making its way into my mind again. This entire time I'd been thinking the feeling of uneasiness was from his supposed confession, but now I wasn't so sure. What exactly was I feeling?

"Alright nerd-bird."

~*~

Two updates in a week! After my streak of complete lack of inspiration, something finally came through. It certainly wasn't a super exciting chapter, but the next one should be. Hope you guys enjoyed!

Anyway, as per usual, please vote and let me know what you thought! :)