Chapter Twenty Nine - Complications

Start from the beginning

"Okay."

We parted ways – I went to my locker and she went to hers. Ella bounced over to my side, grinning from ear to ear as she opened her locker. "Why are you so happy this morning? Something happen, ey, ey, ey?" I teased, nudging her in the ribs.

She giggled, and to my surprise, replied, "Yes."

"Okay, so? Come on, share."

"Dean asked me out," she squealed.

"And?"

"I said yes!" She squealed again.

"Shocking. After years of rejecting guys, Ella finally gets a boyfriend," I commentated. "Are you sure? You know he's got a rep for being a player, right?"

"Yeah, I know. But seriously, I haven't seen him talk to another girl since then."

"Alright. Well, you guys are cute as hell; invite me to your wedding."

"Obviously," she beamed. "You can be my maid of honour."

"Who else would be?" I laughed, shutting my locker.

We went off in different directions when I ran into Dean, probably heading off towards Ella. "Hey, wait a sec," I said.

"What's up?" He grinned. "I assume you've heard."

"Yeah. Try not to break her heart, you heartbreaker."

"I won't. Don't worry," he laughed, "But either way, it looks like you're the bigger heartbreaker. I'll talk to you later," he grinned.

"Alright, alright, go talk to your girlfriend," I teased.

"I will," he waved, walking off.

"Hey," Hunter said, falling in step with me.

"Hi," I replied. "The room is here, I'm off."

He waved, and continued grinning as I walked in, occasionally glancing behind my back to see if he was still there. He was acting so normally about all of this, unless of course, it had been a joke. Deep down, I knew I was hoping that it wasn't.

Fourth period chemistry arrived and it was the first time I could honestly say I was glad Carla had transferred to our school and taken my seat in chemistry. The only exchange I had with Hunter was a simple nod of acknowledgement as I walked past.

"How's life?" I asked Archer as I sat down.

"Excellent," he deadpanned.

"Certainly sounds excellent."

"You betcha. So, the man who contributed sperm for my creation returned yesterday begging for forgiveness. The kitchen was a full waterworks show."

I'd never known Archer to be so bitter, but I couldn't blame him. He was probably resolute in cutting off all ties to his dad who he hardly saw before anyway, but I wasn't so sure about his mum. His mum and dad had been high school sweethearts – married for almost thirty years. They were a model family and the epitome of true love, until everything fell apart.

"So what are you going to do?" I asked.

"I don't know; it depends on my mum. If he moves back in, I'll move out by the end of the year anyway. After all, I have a temporary contract with Downtown Ninety Seven," with the last phrase, he wiggled his eyebrows.

"Isn't that a clothing store?"

"Yeah."

"But you don't even have any knowledge of the fashion industry and I doubt you'd work retail," I pondered. Then I realised. "A modelling contract!?" I exclaimed.