Best Of Luck

Chapter 14:

I entered his office and papers were spread across his desk and he brushed his fingers through his hair- a sign that he was frustrated. "Sir." He looks up; it's like he didn't hear me come in.

"Thank you Embre." For the first time I see him flustered with work and it was a sight to see.

"Is that all sir?" I asked. Hoping he said yes, but of course, that goes against my wishes.

"No, have a seat Embre." He demanded and seeing me flinch back- I was startled- he gestured to the seat for me to sit . "Please."

"Could you go through these files for me, while I sort the rest?" Nodding my head I reached my hand towards his desk the same time he did and our hands touched and I quickly pulled my hand away.

What a way to be awkward.

He looked at me with an confused facial expression, as he handed me to file. I took it while successfully not touching his hand.

I opened it and the files are all over the place- there wasn't one single paper organized. But being his personal assistant I had to help him to be a better CEO.

I label his files for him- seeing that had little highlighter marks in the corner-  and when I'm done I look up to see him round his desk and he is sitting on top of his desk his leg bent at in angle his hands folded over the other. "You know it's polite not to stare." I didn't look up from where I was sitting.

"Why? I can't enjoy the view?"

"The view you are looking for is right there." I pointed to the city and the body of water that could be seen anywhere.  "Is there something you need Mr. Hale?" I ask. Please say coffee so I can leave for a moment.

"Embre." He says my name in warning and I look at him confused- weren't we going with my plan?

"Yes?" I asked.

"Are we alone?" I look around the room and I look back at him, he's eyes now amused that I actually looked around.

"I think we are, unless you have cameras that I don't know about." Looking around again this time looking for cameras.

He folded his arms across his chest. "You curled your hair?"

I shake my head no. "N-no this is my natural hair."

Did he not like it?

"So what?" My subconscious interjected. "Stick to your plan remember?"

"I like it." He approved. "It's going to be harder to take my eyes off you."

"Yeah.." It startled me once again, seeing his file being snatched away from my hands and I was pulled against him.

He couldn't keep his hands to himself? "So Embre are you looking forward to our trip." He's holding me as if I was his girlfriend and we were talking casually like my heart was not beating out of my chest.

"Um yeah I-I guess I mean yes." I stutter.

"That's great." His tone sounded detected like he could have cared less of what he just asked me.

"A business trip right?" I asked.

I can feel his eyes on my lips "Of course." I pulled away from him and let me and he seemed disappointed. "You like this game don't you?"

Game? I'm not doing anything.

"Is that all you need Mr. Hal- I mean Landon?" I asked, changing the topic. I could have sworn I heard you but then again I might be imagining things.

"No Embre." I lick my lips and he watched me do so. He took a step towards me but there was a knock on the door. He looks pissed but he answers. "Come in."

And a familiar face walks in. She looks in between us before she waves and I wave back. "Um Mr. Hale? There's a lady waiting for you and she said she needs to talk to you."

"Send her in."

I take that as my cue to leave, so I do. I make my way back to my office; worrying who the lady is- I don't know why I care but I do.

•••

A few minutes later you can hear shouting, and not the pleasant sound. I quickly rush out of my office and I see other people doing the same thing.

What the hell is going on? I follow the sound and it's coming from Mr. Hale office. Opening the door-unannounced-the yelling sounded more intense than before. "You have no right to talk to me like that, who do you think you are!" The lady yelled and my eyes widen at the scene, her back was facing me and neither of them bothered to turn to see who it was.

"I think I can talk to you however the fuck I would like to. Now get the hell out of my office, I don't even know why showed up in the first place." He seethed at the women.

"And what makes you think I'm going to listen to you? You should be listening to me!"

Well now, he looks pissed, "You want me to listen to you when you didn't raise me." She visibly flinched back and I knew she didn't take that last part well. "Now get out my office."

So the lady was his mother? She huffed before grabbing her purse and she makes her way to leave her eyes locking with mine. "I'm sorry." She nodded in my direction- for what exactly I do not know- and she walks out.

I look back to Landon to see his back watching him the window. And against my better judgment, I closed his door with me inside.

What exactly did I know about consoling someone? Absolutely nothing, but he looked like he needed a drink.. or someone to help him. "Landon?" I asked, touching his shoulder and he didn't flinch back which was a good sign. "Are you okay?"

"No I'm not."

I wait for him to elaborate about what happened but it seems he doesn't want to talk about so I let it be.

"Whatever it is, it's going to be okay." I comforted him and with one last pat to his arm awkwardly,
I was getting ready to walk out but his hand caught mine, our eyes met and he looked almost pained like he didn't want anyone to see that side to him.

He pulled me back to him sharply not giving me time to think or process- my lips meeting his.