And then I was going to pounce.

****

Ayla

When Alessio walked out of the room, I let out a sigh of relief. Lena noticed and gave me a strange look.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

Was everything okay?

I scoffed mentally at the question. It was laughable, considering my situation. I didn't know if I should laugh or fall down and cry.

No. Of course everything was not okay.

"Yes," I replied instead, my voice small.

Lena looked at me suspiciously but didn't stretch the topic. Giving me a small smile, she turned towards the other two maids.

"This is Moira," she introduced, pointing at the blond, who gave me a blank stare.

What was wrong with her?

She really needs to take that stick out of her ass, I thought to myself. I nodded towards her way and then looked at the other maid.

"And this one here is Milena." The short woman with her black hair tied in a tight bun, waved at me with a smile. I smiled back and felt myself relax.

"Welcome," Milena said softly.

At least I had two people who didn't look like they wanted to kill me.

"Now that introductions has been made, Milena and Moira get back to work," Lena said in a stern voice.

Both women shrugged and walked out of the kitchen. After the door closed behind them, Lena grabbed my arms and gently shoved me towards the stools.

"Sit," she said. I did as I was told.

"Did you eat breakfast yet?" Lena asked as she went through the refrigerator.

I shook my head but then realized that she couldn't see me.

"No. I haven't," I replied.

"I thought so," she murmured, as she closed the fridge, her arms full with ingredients. I started to stand up so I could help her but she shook her head.

Sitting back down, I stayed immobile waiting for her next instruction.

Lena made breakfast, while talking animatedly the whole time. She was excited, as if she hadn't had a chance to talk to someone for a long time.

She talked about everything and nothing. Sometimes none of it made sense. She told me about her experience working as a maid. I also found out that I was the youngest maid here, which surprised her.

"Hmm... Alessio never hires young maid. He says that they are incompetent."

I didn't tell her how it came that Alessio hired me. She never asked so I kept quiet. As Lena continued talking, I felt myself relaxing.

The tense muscles in my shoulders started to loosen and I sagged into my stool. Crossing my legs, I moved my elbows on the bar and placed my chin in my palms, watching Lena talk. Her voice soothed me and I couldn't help but smile.

She was sweet and adorable and I felt comfortable around her. I don't know how long I sat there and listened to her talk, but she eventually brought a plate to me. Placing it front of me, Lena smiled and nodded towards the food.

"Dig in, hun."

I looked down and saw toasts, scrambled eggs, bacon, fried diced potatoes and there was a small bowl and mixed fruits.

Looking up, I saw her staring at me with a soft expression. My nose started to tingle and I felt hot tears at the back of my eyes. I sniffed and looked down at the plate of food.

Nobody has ever given me food like that. Sure I had maids back at my father's Estate and I always had food. But no one ever prepared it with love. Nobody ever cared if I ate or not. I simply didn't exist. I was living as a shadow.

My heart constricted and I held the fork with a shaky hand.

As I took the first bite, a drop of tear fell down my cheek. Quickly swiping it away with my other hand, I took a second bite. Then a third. With each bite, it felt like my heart would burst at any moment.

When Lena gave me a gentle pat on the hand, I looked up with my red eyes. She gave me a sad smile and then nodded as if telling me that everything would be okay. Lena didn't ask any questions. She just accepted me.

She turned around and went back to filling the other plates. I looked back at the food and my eyes moved to the hand that she touched.

Kindness was not something that I was familiar with. As a matter of fact, I had never experience kindness in my life.

My days were spent locked in my room and my nights were filled with nightmares. I didn't know what kindness was.

But with that simple action from Lena, I saw kindness for the first time. I felt it for the first time.

***

Hey guys! I know I know.. not what you expected but as I said, I need to build up the plot. There's a lot happening in between and I need to show it all. Just hang in there. It'll get better.

Next chapter will be long! And you'll definitely get sexy scenes (maybe even steamy). And guess what? I'll be posting it tomorrow, so you don't have to wait for long. I know this chapter wasn't like the best but hopefully next one makes up for it.