Chapter 1- Weirdness in Atlanta

Start from the beginning

I looked up to see that the downloads had finished and used the mousepad to open Google Chrome. I went to the search bar and typed in "Atlanta May 19th". A ton of results came up immediately. Apparently there were a bunch of ill people attacking healthy people. I read a little more and discovered that these diseased people caught the illness from bites by other diseased people. I stared at the screen, confused, and called my mom to look. When she asked why I called her I just handed her the laptop and texted Jackson;

What the actual fuck..?

I got a text back within 30 seconds.

IKR! Freaking WEIRDNESS IN ATLANTA!!!

I put my phone into standby and set it on the end table next to the couch. I looked at my mom as she read. She raised a hand to her mouth and started absent-mindedly biting her nails. I swatted at her arm. I knew that I'd never be able to stop her from nervously biting her nails, but it was worth a shot. She pulled her hand away from her mouth.

When my mom had finished reading, she set my laptop down. "I should stock up.." she said, "Just in case." My mom was always a major worrier.

"Okay, mom." I answered slowly. "I'll keep an eye on dinner."

"That would be great. Thanks, kitten." my mom answered. She moved around the kitchen for a few minutes and then I heard her leave. I sighed. She was just getting herself worked up over nothing. There was probably just something wrong with the water supply. The illness was kind of like rabies. I didn't see why they wouldn't be able to control it.

After a few minutes of sitting and wondering what to do, I forced myself to get up. I walked out to the kitchen and checked on the noodles that were cooking. After seeing that they were fine, I slid open the screen door. I stepped out into the warm spring air and my blue merle border collie, Mojo, came trotting up to me.

"Hi baby!" I said in a high-pitched voice that I always use with him. I sat down on my deck and scratched behind Mojo's ears as he panted. He'd probably been chasing squirrels.

After a few minutes of petting Mojo, I stood up and threw a frisbee for him. He happily sprinted off after it but got distracted and never brought it back. I rolled my eyes and called for him. When he didn't bring the frisbee back I just went back inside. I went back to sit on the couch and did some more research on this disease. Apparently, the people would actually die from the bite. Or at least it seemed like it. They'd come back to life, but they wouldn't be their regular selves. They'd be rotted and dead, but walking. And hungry.

I scrolled over a link to a video and clicked. I couldn't get myself to press the play button, though. As I was trying to work up the courage to press play, my older sister, Trinity, got home. She looked afraid.

"Did you hear what's going on? This... disease.. is spreading. It's getting closer. We have to prepare. We can stay here, but only for maybe two nights. Start packing. I'll pack for myself and mom. Only take three bags at most." she said, looking straight at me. She was overreacting, just like my mom.

"Don't you think it's a little soon?" I asked, eyebrows raised.

"No!" she exclaimed, completely serious. "I'm glad mom went to the store. Start packing."

I sighed. Maybe they weren't overreacting. Either way I was going to do as I was told. I trudged up the stairs to my lavender-colored room. I took out three bags. Two were duffel bags and one was a backpack. I chose clothes for summer, then added jeans, sweatpants, yogapants, sweatshirts, and even my winter coat. Just in case. Clothes filled one duffel bag and half of the other. In the half-filled duffel bag, which was a deep green with pink detailing, I added the photo album which included pictures of our whole family and our family after our father left. There were also pictures of me and my friends, especially Renae. I smiled at her pretty brown curls and frowned at my blond, thick hair. It never wanted to cooperate. I added a few journals and a pencil pouch filled with pens, pencils, a sharpener, scissors, tape, and two sets of colored pencils. I added toiletries and some hair ties and headbands.

When the duffel bags were full I put clothes that were much too big and much too comfortable, my baby blanket, a bracelet my grandma gave me, my iPod, my laptop, chargers, and a few other things that I wanted to have in my backpack.

I brought the bags downstairs and set them next to the door. This was so shitty. All of this would just take up my weekend.

~Author's Note~

HELLO! I'm Julia, the author. It honestly does mean a lot to me that you've even read to here, but I would love if you'd comment! Obviously, this can't be perfect on my first try so if you have any suggestions or constructive criticism it would be helpful if you could share. I shall call my fans giraffes, because giraffes are just so cool. SO please keep reading if you'd like to be a giraffe =) I'll update when possible. LOVE YOU LITTLE GIRAFFES! ~Julia