Chapter 3: Wild and Free (5 years, 1 month)

Sage clutched her grandson's hands. "So I heard someone learned how to shift."

Titus grinned. "Want to see?"

"Of course," she exclaimed. "I want to see what my grandbaby looks like under all this fur."

The black pup closed his eyes, and his fur slowly disappeared.

"Oh, my," Sage wrapped a blanket around the boy's waist and hugged him tightly. "Look how handsome you are." She moved the blanket over Titus's shoulders. "Go show your grandpa then shift back, so you don't get cold."

Xavier watched from his seat by the wall as his son rushed over to Thomas, who was sitting with Rose talking about life in California.

"Look grandpa." Titus threw off the blanket. "I'm a human. I'm a human like you."

Thomas laughed and pulled his grandson to his side. "You look just like your dad when he was little."

Titus looked over at his brother who was sitting across from them. "Darius can't do it yet."

"Shut up," growled the red pup.

"I beat him."

"Shut up!" Darius attacked.

Thomas was a little taken back as the two boys wrestled at his feet. He quickly tried to pull them apart. Rose hurried over to help.

"I see the problem," said Sage, quietly so just Xavier could hear.

The alpha sighed. "I won't care as much if Titus didn't already know how to shift. The fighting just keeps getting worse." He rubbed his forehead.

Sage patted the bed beside her. Xavier stood and went to his mother.

"You were a little reluctant to learn too."

"This is different," muttered Xavier. "I didn't care about shifting. There's nothing that special about human form. You weaker and have less defenses." He picked at his claws. "Darius's attention span is five seconds. He won't sit still long enough for me to explain how it's done."

They watched as Rose snatched Darius and squeezed him to his chest, so he couldn't escape. Titus was hiding behind his grandfather, sticking his tongue out at his brother.

"Dad maybe you should shift, before the boys attack again," called Xavier.

He shook his head and licked the cut on his forearm. "It's already healed. The boys are too young to do any real damage."

"He prefers to be human, Xavier. You know that." Sage patted her son's leg. "It was the way he was born."

The alpha shrugged. "I didn't mean anything bad by it. He'd be less exposed with fur, that's all."

"Tomorrow, I'll sit Darius down and work with him a bit." She squeezed her son's muzzle. "Don't stress out over a pup learning to shift. They all do it eventually. Even the reluctant ones like yourself." She flicked his nose. "When you called, I could help but laugh. So concern about Darius, when you really don't care to ever be in human form yourself."

Xavier's shoulders rolled forward. "They're start kindergarten in the fall. He has to learn or he can't go. So I rather Darius just figure it out, so I don't have to worry, and the constant fighting between them two will stop." He nodded toward his sons.

With a chuckle, Sage shook her head. "Stop praying for your sons to grow up, because when they do, you'll only wish they were pups again." She leaned into his side and nuzzled his cheek. "I sure do."

Xavier nodded. "I'll try." He watched as Darius threw back his head, knocking Rose on the chin and let out a death howl. "I'm really trying."

***