chapter 23

cora was obviously ahead of them and kyle started falling behind the group - along with stiles - of athletically built teenagers who shifted in their werewolf form in order to catch up.

stiles stopped, causing kyle to halt. "what is it?"

"the darkness. it's like pulsating inside my chest."

"the what?!" kyle sharply inhaled the cold air that stung his lungs. "we have to keep moving ...oh and the pulsating thing inside your chest is called a heart."

"no- it's not- ugh." stiles groaned in frustration. "i can't explain it, kyle, but i know it's there and i can feel it growing now that we're on a suicide mission here in the forest."

kyle ignored his complaint and asked stiles if he has any flashlight.

"wow, this is great. totally and utterly great. we're like open for any supernatural creatures to drag us with them."

a spell, kyle remembered. there was a spell the witches performed during their search for a supreme, but he can't remember it.

"hey, you look like a typical movie geek, i need your help."

"who told you that?" stiles asked.

"cora might have mentioned something about it." stiles cursed the she-wolf under his breath.

"anyway, there's this one character in x-men who was able to produce fire. what's that thing called? like...creating fire using mind control?"

"pyrokinesis?"

"that's it!"

"well, duh. his name was kind of a giveaway. pyro, those are literally the first four letters of pyrokinesis."

"see, cora was right." kyle chuckled as stiles whined about her.

as stiles continued muttering about possible humiliation for cora, kyle started focusing his mind on the spell.

obviously he wasn't a fully trained wizard, but the bond that was made through marrying a witch plays a strong hold on him.

when he opened his eyes, some branches on the trees caught on fire, startling stiles.

"what the hell?" he scrumbled to his feet and pushed the dead leaves off of him. "how?! what?!" he looked at kyle with a mixture of pride and confusion.

"let's just say that i married a very strong witch."

"what, you're married?!"

|||

deep down the forest she was still running, following the direction where the mocking laughter was echoing.

fallen tree trunks tripped her a couple of times, but she always gets back on her feet and continue her search for her brother.

"well, well, well. what do we have here." cora whipped around when an icy whisper lingered behind her ear.

"where's my brother?" she asked the figure slowly walking towards her. "where did you bring my brother?"

cora bared her fangs and began running, but she was flicked off the ground and hit a tree.

she landed on the forest ground with a thud, injuring her right wrist and crushing stiles' phone inside her pocket.