chapter 21

the next morning kyle tried to reason his way into cora's mind, but isaac always opposed.

"c'mon, kyle. it was probably around 1 in the morning when you woke me up."

"he's right, kyle and we already have a possible lead on where this madison girl has been seen anyway. we can't afford any more time-wasting rendezvous knowing that your wife might be somewhere worse now that we're getting closer."

kyle sighed and ruffled his hair.

"you're right about that part, but still i swear that something was written there. it mentioned something about getting her two scoops and there's a bit about drops and loops, which i think she's talking about a rollercoaster."

"a carnival, maybe?" isaac suggested, earning a glare from cora and a look of hope from kyle.

"we. don't. have. time." cora stressed, tying her shoes as fast as she can so they could get started.

|||

as cora lead the way to the diner, isaac and kyle fell behind.

"the carnival, when and where?" he whispered quietly, hoping that cora won't be able to hear their conversation.

"i don't know about the place where it's going to be at this year 'cause they always move around, but i know someone who does know where it is."

when cora peeked over shoulders, isaac and kyle acted as if no conversation flowed between them.

by the time they got inside, they were asked for how many people in the table and led to the one, lonely table sitting in the corner next to the drinks section.

cora ordered breakfast for them - the usual eggs and bacon combo with their special sauce.

"what if they haven't seen her here?" kyle asked when he got back from fetching the three of them cups of soda. "what if the carnival-"

"maybe this is what that madison chick wants to do: lure you to some other places; waste your time away so that she'll be able to finish her inhumane job to your wife." cora looked at isaac and then outside the window.

it was quiet.

not the whole diner, but the table. it stayed like that for a couple more minutes until the food was served.

"thank you," kyle said to the old lady who served them and grabbed the plastic spoon and fork sitting on top of a napkin.

"i didn't mean it." cora blurted out, halting both isaac and kyle. "i just realized how harsh that came out to be."

"well," kyle wiped his suddenly sweating palms on his jeans and added, "i needed some slap to make me come back to reality anyway." he held cora's gaze for a few more moments and sighed, continuing his earlier action: pushing the food around the plate.

"i'm sorry, kyle, really."

when kyle only lifted his head up for a slight nod, isaac nudged him from under the table and motioned kyle to look at the girl across the table. cora was still facing him, her eyes so evident of guilt.

"she rarely says sorry." isaac added, which made cora smile and faintly kicked his foot. "like back in the loft when derek didn't care about my staying there, they would argue for god knows how long until one of them - which is mostly derek - gives up and apologizes."

cora smiled at the memory that wasn't so tainted with betrayal.

"she just has this...effect on people wanting to apologize to her eventhough she's wrong." cora laughed at that. "i'm not lying, right?" she smiled at him as a waitress approached their table asking if they needed more of the special sauce. isaac eagerly nodded and got himself another cup of it. cora barely used hers while kyle didn't touch his at all.