chapter 9

chloe came back with a smile plastered on her face once more, holding a rabbit and a bow and arrow.

"you learn so quickly, kiddo." cora complimented, making the youngest (and new) hunter in the group blush in a new, furiously red shade.

"c'mon, let's see how we can cook that with all the herbs i have."

both girls vanished inside the cabin, leaving kyle stranded outside. he didn't complain though. the view was amazing.

the view in front of him is rare. he knew this because back when he was still working as a butler under cordelia's supremacy, he was dragged along while the witches fought with the voodoos in various forests, destroying nature as the battle went on.

kyle walked a little further, taking in the breathtaking sight. he started daydreaming about having a vacation house in a forest with zoe. building a tree house for their future little blondes and brunettes. he decided he would make it big because he was sure it would be too crowded especially since he wanted to take chloe with him.

he stayed there for a little longer - even fell asleep even for a good thirty minutes, kudos to the birds who started chirping in perfect harmony.

"hey." cora said, jolting him awake than when he first opened his eyes.

"i need to stop doing that," he mumbled to himself and cora chuckled, shaking her head.

"lunch is cooked."

|||

the rabbit was perfectly seasoned and they chewed it down so fast. chloe commented about kyle's bloated stomach and they all laughed, making their stomach jiggle.

they only paused when chloe did, falling on the floor and screaming.

"what's wrong, chloe?" cora panicked, rushing immediately to the girl's side.

"i shouldn't have tried those-" chloe's stomach gurgled and she gritted through her teeth.

"what?" kyle said after being silent for a few minutes. "what did you eat?" he turned to cora. "are you trying to poison us?"

cora's eyes narrowed on him and he swore he saw it flicker to a golden shade.

"if i was trying to poison you both, she wouldn't be the only one on the floor." she spat back, panting.

"no, k-kyle." chloe stuttered. "it wasn't her fault. i ate it on my own, the fish she caught last night. i didn't know what i was thinking. i was asleep most of the day and i only had soup so i was starving. i'm so sorry." she cried.

"shh, it's alright, chloe. it's just a fish." cora pushed the hair smudged on her face softly as she tries to calm the girl who kept mumbling 'sorry'.

"yeah. a fish that's causing her stomach pain." cora's head whipped around, face fuming with anger.

"look, kyle, i wouldn't dare hurt anybody unless it's necessary." cora huffed and grabbed a spear.

"and where are you going now?"

"off to fetch some ziziphus jujuba," she mumbled.

"repeat that last part for me."

"ziziphus jujuba?"

"what the hell is that?"

"a fruit?" the look of confusion on kyle's face irked her. "it was used in chinese medicine." still confused. "oh, honestly, kyle, i could've gotten them by now if you didn't bother."

"i'll go with you."

cora paused and turned around.

"and what about chloe? we can't leave her alone, you know."

"we'll lock the doors." he suggested, which earned him a snort from her. "I HAVE TO HELP IN SOME WAY, OK? I PROMISED HER BROTHER BEFORE HE DIED THAT I WOULD TAKE CARE OF HER. LOOK AT HOW WELL IT'S GOING." kyle huffed and walked past her, hitting her shoulder hard.

she coughed and added, "where are you going?" he paused his tracks and peeked over his right shoulder. "i thought we were locking the door?"

|||

after they made sure every possible entry was blocked from the inside - except for one that was strategically locked from the outside - cora led the way.

quiet atmosphere was all there was between them as they beat their way through the vines hanging from the big trees.

"how did her brother die?" cora broke the silence.

"we didn't even get to see how it happened, but we heard it." kyle sighed. "we heard how the pole poked through his chest. we heard the clanking of metal and the slump of his body. we didn't see it, but hearing it like that made us feel it."

"i'm sorry." she mumbled.

they crossed a stream lined with huge, jagged rocks, some of which were covered in green moss.

they trekked for a few more minutes in silence before the trees containing small and red fruits appeared and they made a beeline for it.

kyle offered to help cora climb the tree, but she - surprisingly - calmly denied the offer. she even gave him a little smile.

she worked her way up using the branches. kyle could tell by the way she knows where her hand would land next, that she's been doing it for quite some time now and he wondered how long she's been in the forest all by herself. how many wintry nights had she slept through by herself? how did she manage to withstand rains and possible stream overflow? there are so many questions about her survival that intrigues him.

"maybe i could ask for tips," he thought.

"are you ready to go now or are you just gonna stare at that tree the whole day?" cora said, but she's not standing on one of the branches and looking pissed - which is what he expected.

"over here." she called out from behind him. "it didn't take me that long, you know."

kyle chuckled and said, "i guess i underestimated you."

"oh, that's just the tiny peak of the iceberg."

they paused and looked at each other, smiling, until a loud scream coming from the direction of their cabin erupted.

water splashes and panting breaths echoed in the forest.

|||

A/N: merry christmas to everyone who celebrates it! i hope that you guys are having a great time with those you love :)

12/25/2015

- lani