Vineless Planting

Mild sexual content. Read at your own risk.

Marie followed her chosen planted silently, glazed eyes staring at his back as her hands shook nervously in her pockets. It was her first real Planting Ceremony since her father was turned, and just trying to keep her emotions in check was not helping her physical or emotional state.

A vine slid around Marie's slim waist, pulling her closer to her mate's side to comfort her. Her response to his actions was a heavy sigh as she leaned into him.

"What's wrong?" He murmured, stopping in the middle of the crowd that kept on moving forward.

Marie closed her eyes as she looked down, playing with the buttons on his shirt. "I'm just scared. I haven't been to one of these in a while. I don't really want to shut down in there," she whispered, already having flashbacks of her father's planting.

A tender kiss was placed on Marie's forehead as Hunter cupped her face with both of his hands, tilting her chin up to meet her gaze. "I'll be by your side the whole time, Marie. If you need to leave, run out. I'll chase after you and comfort you, okay? You're not alone in this," Hunter cooed softly to his love. He hated watching her so upset.

She nodded slightly, hugging him tightly before turning to walk into the large arena like area where the ceremonies were always held. Hunter was as close to her as he could be in the small space that the crowd provided them, a vine wrapped firmly around her wrist to make sure she knew he was close.

Marie and Hunter both filed into the arena and found a place to sit, holding each other's hands tightly as they waited for the dreaded ceremony to begin.

"Planted and Vineless, please welcome your King and Queen!" A voice boomed over the crowd as the two leaders of the terrible society emerged from behind a curtain.

The couple waved, vines intertwined behind each other's backs as they smiled brightly at their subjects, deep green eyes reflecting the light of the sun that hung above the roofless arena.

"Welcome my lovelies, welcome!" The Queen cooed in her sweet as sugar voice, the soft tone somehow making it to the farthest row without a microphone being plugged to her strapless dress.  "It is time for us to welcome more individuals to our practices as Planteds. Will the guards please bring up the first vineless to gain this honor?"

The sound of iron moving on concrete rang through the area then a shout of protest as the first vineless was dragged out by a guard, the poor twenty year old man struggling in the vines as they forced him over to the king's side.

Once he was on his knees, pants disposed of and the vines holding him completely still, the king's vines came to life and lifted up from their limp spot on his back.

"This is Joshua, husband of Planted June and father of Little-"

"Daddy, no!" A girl who couldn't be over nine screamed as she ran up to her father, tears streaming down her small face in sorrow.

Joshua's eyes widened in horror as another guard quickly wrapped his vines around his vineless daughter and held her back, the little girl's scream echoing throughout the area.

"Oh? And this would be Little Abbey. Where is your mother?" The king inquired, smirking at the little girl

"Let her go! Let Abbey go, please! My king, spare her, this isn't her fault, it's mine, please. Let her mother choose her punishment. She doesn't know better, yet," the father pleaded desperately, watery eyes flickering between his little girl and the king.

Silence filled the arena save for the panting of Joshua and the crying protests of Abbey. Finally the king nodded. "Fine. Let her go. Where is her mother?"

"Right here, my king," the planted mother came up to the stage slowly, head hung. The guard shoved the little girl towards her mother, whose vines quickly pulled her close to comfort her.

Marie stared at the scene with teary eyes, seeing herself in her papa's arms as she was forced to watch her father become one of her most hated enemies.

"Now, Joshua, will there be any more interruptions?" The king asked the man who stared at his lover and his daughter with sorrowful eyes.

"No, my king," he muttered in a defeated tone.

"Thank you, now we can begin your planting," the king smiled, green eyes glowing with happiness as his vines shot out to the father.

It was all in slow motion for Marie, the guard's vines releasing Joshua, allowing him freedom for only a second before the king's vines grabbed him again, one slipping into his rear without a warning.

A cry of pain quickly escaped Joshua before a vine slipped into his mouth, muffling his cries and soon to be moans. His body jerked weakly against the green restraints in a hopeless attempt to somehow break free from his inevitable fate.

Not much longer later, the father's soft silver eyes began to flicker between green and his natural eye color.

Marie whimpered, seeing her father's hazel eyes doing the same thing not long ago, sniffling as she silently cried. Hunter was quick to react and pulled her into his lap, hiding her face in his chest. "Don't watch, Marie. It's okay," he whispered to her. She nodded meekly in reply, relaxing in his embrace.

Meanwhile, little buds were poking out of Joshua's back, the color intervals lasting longer with the green that would forever stain his eyes. He met his daughter's gaze with his silver orbs one last time before closing them and hanging his head, the planting process complete.

The king smirked as his vines pulled the father's pants back on before helping the newly planted stand.

Joshua blinked, as if opening his eyes for the first time, and looked around at everyone. Claps filled the air as the planted people applauded the work of their king before he was dismissed to be with his family.

Abbey, the poor little girl, stared up at her father with pure fear. She was afraid of who he had become, and if she did one thing wrong, how he'd react. Marie knew. He'd act like a complete stranger to his daughter, scare her so badly she might even try to run away.

But, that was the harsh reality of their world. A world of vines and survival.