Mounting the Offensive

Start from the beginning

Photos taken, Hershel said they could make their way to the N.P.A. now, this evidence being more than enough to start the protests.

On the bus trip there, Hershel reflected on the last time he had encountered this particular group.

Hershel had met them on his last trip to America, and they had formed a fast friendship. Though he couldn't join them for all their activities, he did ensure he made some time to help out with some of their projects.

The last he had heard, they had made their new base in Los Angeles, and so that was where the two found themselves now. They were greeted warmly by Archie and Elizabeth, the N.P.A.'s leading members. Hershel had barely even shown them the documents when they had been whisked to the main hall, Archie calling a meeting of all the members. Apparently Auriolus had been a long time target of the N.P.A., and now Hershel had provided them with all the fuel they needed.

****

A booming wave of cheers met the Professor's words, and even Luke found himself applauding just as loudly as the rest. The Professor really could make a rousing speech if needed. Still, a small sliver of doubt, of shame perhaps surfaced its way on his face, but he hid it. Better to enjoy this moment with the others. Only the Professor could bring down a force of evil in just a few days, but even so...

Did he really know what he was getting into?

Certainly this thought was echoed in Hershel's own thoughts, but like Luke, he had hope. Despite the rumours of children vanishing, of people who threatened to expose Auriolus never to be heard from again, and despite the fierce grip they seemed to have across America, they made mistakes, as much as they may have tried to cover them up.

But perhaps their most grievous of all mistakes was to gain the attention of the illustrious Professor Layton himself. If there's one person who can see through mysteries and deception and inspire fear in his enemies, it is the top-hatted gentleman who preaches not violence or chaos. Rather, he inspires peace, justice and hope.

The Professor and his apprentice just had to hope that was enough.

****

Luke and the Professor followed the marching crowd out of the building doors, swept up in the buzz of a passionate crowd. Signs were held up displaying all sorts of creative messages.

'Please excuse the inconvenience, we are trying to change the world.'

'No longer will we allow Auriolus to harm our planet.'

'Auri-lower than us.'

"This is all very exciting, isn't it?" laughed Luke, running around to see each of the signs, and the determination in each person's eyes.

"Yes, quite. Now, we let our friends here take care of the next part of our adventure."

"And after that?"

Hershel lowered his hat, and spoke in a low voice.

"I have a feeling our struggles are yet to truly begin. For now, let us see where this road takes us."

****

Luke had felt troubled at the Professor's grim words, however, once the protestors reached Auriolus and took their positions, Luke was once again caught up in the excitement.

Half an hour passed as crowds of onlookers gathered to see the disturbance. As the protestors of the N.P.A. cried their freedom cries, soon the vans with news reporters showed up, and televisions across America would now be highlighting the attack on Auriolus. People would be curious, and all eyes would now be turned to this elusive company.

The next step had yet to be taken, however. And so, leading Luke away from the N.P.A., Hershel moved towards the rear entrance. All the guards were busy trying to push away the rowdy mob, and Hershel knew now was the time to make his move.

"What are we doing, Professor?" Luke asked concernedly.

"I must admit, I had more than one reason to get the help of the N.P.A. - one reason being of course, to turn the public eye towards Auriolus."

"And the other?"

Hershel gestured to the back door before him as they moved towards it.

"So..." Luke began, putting the pieces together in his head. "They were a distraction!"

"Precisely. All the security guards are preoccupied with the trouble brewing outside their very building. Inside, the so called stronghold will be considerably weaker."

Luke grinned, admiring the cunning of the Professor once again. Here was the real chance to gain some important information. He was smiling as they made their way unattested inside. And then the guilt he had been harbouring inside swelled to the top, and he began to sweat. He was about to pull the Professor away when he realised that there was no way he would convince him to turn back anyhow. And besides, this is why he brought the Professor here.

Sighing deeply, he moved on with the Professor, hoping that his friend would forgive him.

They had only made it up two floors when the elevator they had boarded drew to a sudden halt, rocking violently, lights flickering on and off. Luke and the Professor stumbled about, but in the brief moments when the small metal box they stood in was illuminated, Hershel found Luke and took hold of him, steadying himself against the wall.

The rocking slowed until the elevator was still, trapped in an ominous silence, the lights still flickering on and off, until finally they settled on 'On'. The two thought their ordeal was over, but it was not so as a screen on the elevator wall lit up. On it was the picture of a thirty-year-old man, a chiselled jaw and striking white hair. In his eyes held menace, and Luke found himself gulping.

"Hello there, Professor." Hershel had not heard the man speak before, so he was surpised to hear how calm Costillos' tone was. And yet, it hid the venom of a snake beneath it. "I am of course, aware of you and your little brat's silly investigation. I knew the moment those idiots outside appeared that this was your doing. Let me make something clear: I am a very powerful man. It is my job to know of any threat, no matter how big... or small it is. And believe me, the threat you pose is miniscule at best.

"I let you continue on with your futile quest, knowing at any moment I could squash you like the little bugs you are. And to believe how foolish you were to think you could just sneak in, as if my men were my only means of security. Or that you think I would send all my men to deal with that nuisance outside. My cameras picked you up the moment you entered the courtyard, let alone the back entrance."

Hershel had adopted a stern expression, the one honed after many years of facing such threats as this. And right now he felt helpless, trapped in an elevator, exposed as he had sought to expose Costillos. Worst of all, he had failed Luke. If...

No, no matter what, he would get out of this. Or if not, he would ensure Luke would be safe. Even if it meant sacrificing himself.

Costillos resumed speaking.

"When the doors open, you will be greeted by my men. They will bring you up to me, and then we can have a nice little chat, can't we? I am dying to have a conversation with the Professor Layton." He leant forward, his voice dropping until it was as low and cold as ice. Every word dripped with eeriness. "Who knows, maybe we could work out the terms of your death in as orderly a manner as possible."

The elevator doors slid open, and the two gasped as Auriolus men moved in to subdue them. Soon they were being dragged off, off towards the den of the snake. The office of Costillos Monriel.