Chapter 14

Fadil

Panting hard, legs stretching, heart thudding, and feet prancing I ran the 5k run that I had started to wear off the stress. There was terror and desolation in her eyes. For some reason, those eyes were fuel to my energy as I further exerted myself to run across the Phoenix Park. It was early autumn morning, the sun was shy to light up the landscape of the quiet city. I had come down to the park after fajr prayer from the masjid, thinking that I needed to use my pent up anger in a productive way. I had no idea I would be running this aggressively. Nothing was stopping me now. I ran and ran and ran.

Finally, when it was over. I felt good. I was exhausted, but the run had tempered down my rage. I would definitely be doing this more often. I clenched my teeth, the events that were unfolding will compel me to run more. I didn't want to be violent. I didn't want to burn in this flame that was rising by the minute. I had to be strong. This was a test, I reminded myself jogging towards my car. There at a distance I saw a lone deer. In the semi-darkness, its eyes sparkled like jewels. Entranced, I sauntered closer to it. It was a beautiful creature. As I neared it, I was able to see it clearer. The soft light brown fur, the glorious horns, the pert nose and those eyes. It reminded of someone. There was fear in them as I had seen in her eyes. Fisting my hands, I whirled and ran the opposite direction. This was sheer madness. Why can't I get rid of those eyes from my mind?

****

"Assalam u Alaikum brother, I am here to enroll in the evening Tajweed classes." I announced at the masjid office.

The man looked up from the papers he was studying at the big wooden desk. "Yes, yes, have a seat I will get the forms out" he gestured me to one of the chairs.

I filled the form without any hesitation. I needed to keep myself busy. Her thoughts were killing me bit by bit. I had to keep myself occupied.

The man broke through my thoughts, "Ok good now that the registration done, let me tell you, we have classes three times a week. So you will have to attend them with your books..."

I felt at peace listening to his instructions about the classes. I had made the right decision. Work was not enough to distract me. Inshaa Allah learning and reciting the Quran the appropriate way will not only be beneficial for me but also heal the deep wound in my heart.

I stepped out of the masjid office with an improved disposition. It was raining heavily. Heavens had opened its floodgates. The Dublin weather never helped in soaring one's mood or emotions. Frowning, I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head and scurried to my car trying to get as little wet as possible.

My phone was ringing and vibrating in my pocket when I seated in the coolness of my car. I could tell from the assigned ringtone Mum was calling. Hastily, I dug out the phone from my trouser pockets. Settling myself behind the steering wheel, my thumb slid across the screen of the smart phone.

"Assalam u alaikum" I greeted.

"Walaikum salaam Fadil, how are you?" Mom responded.

"Fine, alhumdulilah and you?" I placed the key in the ignition.

"Good. I did what you wanted me to do. And you were right in the last few days Fahd hasn't been drinking."

My hand lingered on the lever to switch on the windshield wiper. Thank you Allah at least she won't be tortured, I silently prayed.

"Good" finally tapping the lever of the wiper.

"What are your plans for the weekend?"

"umm...nothing really" my fingers tapped the steering wheel.