Time To Make Decisions

Chapter Sixteen... Time To Make Decisions

Either I was an idiot, or I was just afraid.

In any case, I regretted not leaping into Kent's arms when he gave me the opportunity. But he'd left me with a choice. Not a worded one, but two days after he'd confessed his love for me, he was still unable to be in the same room as me.

Not that I could blame him.

But I walked out into the living room with Lucy in the afternoon on the third day, and was startled when he actually spoke to me.

"Good morning," Kent said politely.

"Uh... morning," I said back quietly in disbelief.

"I uh... I can't ignore you forever, Paige," he smiled. "As much as I considered it. But you're still my best friend, even though I love you."

"I don't like being afraid of a relationship," I admitted. "In fact, I rather hate it. But I don't know how else to be, except afraid."

"You shouldn't let what Ramone did to you make you afraid of being in a relationship," he sighed. "I know it must be hard. Sam and I, we had problems way before you went away to Minnesota. And yeah, it was because I love you, but you can't change the past."

"Or destiny, apparently," I rolled my eyes.

"Look, Ramone might come back into your life one day, and you get to be the one to tell him that you'd rather die than be with him," Kent chuckled.

"How can you forgive so easily?" I questioned.

"Paigey, when it comes to you, there's nothing that could make me not forgive you," he smiled. "Unless you cheat, but I know you're against that, so..."

"So you'd even forgive me if I moved away?" I asked.

"Moved away?" he frowned. "To where?"

"Well, Minnesota," I said hesitantly.

"You mean that place you once escaped from, because you couldn't stand your family?" he raised an eyebrow.

"That's the one."

"But... why?"

"I never got a chance to talk to you much about Minnesota, because the whole you and Sam breaking up came to be the topic, followed by my bitchiness breaking you. Anyway... When I was in Minnesota, my mom asked me if I'd ever consider moving back, once I'd finished college. And when I moved here three years ago, it was the furtherest thing from my mind. But now I'm a senior... my life's about to start. Plus I have Lucy to think about..."

"You're actually considering going back?"

"As a teenager, I couldn't wait to leave. My parents were controlling and overbearing. But now? Now I see that yes, they were. But it was for my own good! I don't know if it's being a mom to Lucy that's made my heart melt, or if I've grown up, and that means I'm ready to face what I ran away from. But yes. I have highly considered moving back there in the summer, after school finishes."

"But... what about me?" he looked like he could cry.

"Well, that's the thing," I said, now stepping up to the plate. "I hate being away from my parents, but it wasn't easy being away from you, either. My old school friends are all over the country, and you're really the only friend I talk to. But that's not the only reason, of course."

"Paige... I'm confused. What are you getting at?"

"If I move back to Minnesota, I want you to come with me."