Time To Talk

Chapter Thirteen... Time To Talk

Two weeks before I was to travel to my parents' in Minnesota for the Christmas holidays, I had given birth to my beautiful daughter Lucy. I was set to leave the next day, and Sam and Kent had reluctantly agreed to look after Lucy while I went to Minnesota.

I hated the thought of leaving my baby girl... absolutely hated it! But my parents hadn't known I was pregnant, let alone actually given birth. It was hurting me to leave Lucy, but I couldn't figure out how to explain myself if I happened to turn up at the airport with a baby in my arms that looked just like me. They would be angry... so angry...

"I'm gonna miss her so much," I sighed as I sat in the kitchen with Kent. "I wish I didn't have to go..."

"You know, it's not too late to change your mind about leaving her here, P," Kent said with a weak smile. "Your parents can only be mad for so long, now, can't they?"

"True," I frowned. "But no. I can't take her. I went this long without telling them... I'll keep to not telling them."

"You're just lucky that the weekend your sister came, you weren't showing yet," Kent frowned. "She asked me if there was something wrong with you. And I lied for you, said you were fine."

"Penny asked me several times if I was alright," I sighed. "I just wish I'd told them all now... the first time I went to Minnesota after I found out I was pregnant. Before Ramone left me. Before my life got... messy."

"Are you saying Lucy makes it messy?"

"No, I made it messy. But she's the biggest part of my life now, and I'm leaving her because I tangled myself in a massive lie! What mother leaves her newborn with her godfathers for a week while she continues her lie?!"

"A scared one. A terrified one. And one who will probably come home tomorrow because she'll burst into tears because she misses her little girl."

Kent always knew what was running through my mind. Truly I swore sometimes he could read it!

"Look, it's only a week," I sighed sadly. "And soon it will be over and I'll be here holding my little girl in my arms again."

"Lucy, Sam and I all wish you didn't have to go," Kent frowned.

"So do I," I sobbed, tears rolling down my cheeks. "But I'll be back before we all know it."

Kent drove me to the airport to catch my plane the next day. In the car I managed to keep from bursting into tears and being unable to breathe. We pulled in at the airport and Kent grabbed all of my bags as I grabbed Lucy and held her close to me. She was so warm, snuggling tightly into my chest. Sound asleep, her little face looked immaculately perfect.

"So I'll be back in exactly a week," I smiled bravely at Kent. "If you have any problems with her, then call me."

"I will," he returned the smile. "Just promise you'll come home if you can't handle being away from her."

"I will," I smiled as I hugged him. "Take care of Lucy for me. I uh... I've never spent longer than ten minutes away from her, you know."

"Of course I will, P," Kent chuckled.

"I'm gonna miss you so much, baby girl," I whispered to Lucy. "I love you more than anything in the world."

I held Lucy for about ten minutes, just hugging her. Then, with a heavy sigh, I passed her over to Kent. Even giving her to him hurt me; the truth was that if Ramone hadn't left me, and we were still together, I'd have probably told my parents that I was pregnant once the shock had worn off. But being the coward that I was, I didn't tell anyone in my family...