The Vanishing Act

Chapter Five... The Vanishing Act

I was glad to have returned home to New York. My parents could be suffocating, and this time was no exception. Penelope was the only person I hadn't gotten annoyed with... unusual...

Kent picked me up from the airport.

I ran up into his arms and gave him the biggest hug. He was the best friend I could ever ask for. The drive home was filled with questions about my week...

And there was only one question I was dreading him asking.

"So..." he began. "Did you have a nice week away?"

"Yeah, it was alright," I smiled. "My sister and I bonded quite well. Like we never really had before..."

"Did you tell them about the baby?" Kent asked. Uh-oh. That question I wanted to avoid had just been asked.

"Uh... no," I said simply.

"What?! Why?"

"Uh... because it's my life, and I don't have to tell them."

"So how did you bond so well with Penelope? Did you tell her?"

"No, but I told her about Ramone."

"Did you tell your parents about Ramone?"

"No. Or my brother. Just Penny."

"Your brother was there too?"

"Yeah, and I didn't even know he was going! But anyway...he never comes to visit me."

"Think Sam and I kissing in front of him offended him the last time he came here..."

"Screw him. You guys were just... expressing your love. And he was being an ass! So I don't care. He probably doesn't care about me, anyway."

"Paige, you have such low self-esteem. I think you need to be easier on yourself, especially since you're pregnant."

"When I was holding my little niece, all I could think about was holding the baby for the first time. It brought tears to my eyes, Kent. Tears of joy."

"That's wonderful."

"I know. I hadn't thought about holding the baby until then. And I knew straight away... I wanna keep my baby."

Kent smiled and took my hand, squeezing it.

"You're making the right decision," he grinned.

"Thanks... Uncle Kent," I grinned nervously.

>>>>

That night Kent, Sam and I sat around having a pizza night. I had to work the next day, and go to school. I wondered how I would fit the baby into my busy schedule, and how I would go once I started to get bigger...

The next day I attended school as usual, having to excuse myself from lectures a few times because I knew I was going to be sick. One professor frowned at me, and later she pulled me aside and asked if I was taking any drugs! I of course denied it, but in turn told her that I was pregnant. She smiled in understanding, and I was free to go then.