chapter four

The following month had come to a pass as Alby and I waited patiently for the box to find it's way back up to he Glade once again. We needed the next set of supplies to add on to as much as we could. I could here the box coming to a stop, the concrete doors opened as we looked down into the box; shocked at what we had seen.

There was more supplies than ever before, along with boys who seemed as if they had lost ever ounce of oxygen in their bodies. They were both backed up into a corner of the box, their chests rising up and down rapidly from the fear that consumed their figures.

"Hey," I breathed out with a reassuring glance. "You're alright," I calmly stated, looking to their eyes filled with fear. "We didn't remember anything either," I stated with a soft expression. "Everything will come to you as the time goes by. We'll explain everything to the two of you," Alby and I exchanged reassuring glances. "Come on," I stated, reaching out my hand slowly, allowing them to have time to think.

They hesitated for a moment before one of them decided to accept my offer. But in that exact moment, the boy gripped my hand harder than ever and pulled me in head first into the box. I stumbled before he pushed me into the box's wall, hitting my head in the process as I let out a groan of pain.

"Hey!" Alby shouted in anger as he grabbed the other kid from the box in a head lock. The boy inside the box instantly gripped the collar of my shirt and slamming me hard against the wall with full force. "You let her go!" Alby shouted, the kid in his arms tried his best to wiggle out of Alby's grip; nothing fazed Al.

"You did this to us, didn't you!?" The stranger holding onto my collar yelled directly to my face as I squinted my eyes from the sodden shock.

"No, we didn't! We got shoved into this shucking hell hole the same way you did!" I yelled directly into the boy's face. He hesitated for a second, his grip on my collar tightening even more. "Lay off, man!" I shouted, shoving him off of me quicker than I thought was possible as Alby jerked the the kid in his head lock away.

I let out a sigh of frustrating, exchanging glances between the two boys that stood before me. I slowly started picking up the large wooden crates full of food, supplies, necessities, and handing them over to Alby up top. I continued on as Alby pulled them closer over to where he stood, the boys watching closely. I waited for the young men to climb on up before I did to be sure I was safe.

"Alby, stack a few things and carry 'me over to the Homestead," I breathed out, getting a reassuring nod from Alby. "You too Greenie," I ordered nodding to one of the boys that stood there. He picked up a few things before he started following Alby over to the Homestead. I picked up the box of food as I looked over to the more skinner kid with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. "Follow me," I stated as he nodded and walked with me on my left. I tried my best to ignore the slight pain that was flooding the side of my head, although I've had worse. "You remember anything? Anything at all?"

"Uh, No. No, I don't remember anything," he stated with a strong Australian accent, throwing me off a bit.

"Don't worry. You'll get your name soon," I stated with reassurance. "I'm Lynn, if you're wondering." I finished as we continued to walk towards the Homestead.

"What is this place?" He questioned as I let out a long sigh of distress and confusion. "Why am I here? What are we supposed to do?"

"Listen kiddo, I'll explain just hold up." I stated just as we reached to the Homestead. I placed the food down onto the counter before the young man had stopped me with anger.

"Why can't I remember anything!?" He exhaled deeply, raising his voice as I turned around to look at him a bit annoyed with his impatience. "Why did this happen to me!?" He questioned harshly as I crossed my arms over my chest, leaning against one of the wooden poles.

"Look, Jack weed. I'm just as clueless as you are," I paused with anger as he looked to me in all seriousness. "Don't give me klunk for something I know nothing about. None of us know anything about was has happened to us," I breathed out as he exhaled deeply. "But we're surviving just like anyone in their right mind would do." The greenie looked to me with understanding as he nodded his head in agreement. "Come on," I breathed out. "You'll need a bed."

I had gotten his hammock ready and set as he helped out with fixing some things around his sleeping pit. We had finished up as he looked onto the hundred foot high walls with concern.

"What's behind those walls?" He questioned as he looked off to where the openings to the Maze were.

"We called it the Maze. It opens up every morning and closes every night. The stone walls inside move around in different sections," I explained tying off the last part of his hammock. "And before you ask anymore questions," I paused with a grin. "Where you came from was the box," I paused looking to our scenery. "What's surrounding you is the glade, what your standing in is the homestead, and that's the Bloodhouse," I paused pointing over to the Bloodhouse. "Come on," I paused for a second, grabbing my quarterstaff. "Let's go check on the new Greenie."

We had walked over towards Alby and the new Greenie who had seemed to just finish of a fire. The sky was beginning to darken up, knowing the walls would close soon. "How's everything going?" I questioned Alby as I sat down by the other Greenie.

"We're doing alright," Alby stated glancing over to the Greenie left to me. We sat there in deep thought, the sky darkening as the fire glistened brighter. I began to fiddle with my fingers, wondering if this was all for a reason. If jut maybe we were put here for the good of someone's sake.

"Newt," the Greenie next to me breathed out as we all looked to him. "That's my name. Newt," he finished as we all smiled, nodding our heads with excitement as I placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Welcome to the Glade, Newt," I breathed out with a smile as we all exchanged glances in peace. The other Greenie had looked up, pain inheriting his eyes before hope had changed his gaze in less than a moment.

"Gally," the greenie stated unexpectedly as he looked up with a mere glimpse of confidence. "It just came to me," he breathed out in confusion, furrowing his eyebrows. "None of this is making any sense." He shook his head in disbelief, standing to his feet and turning from the three of us sitting down. He crossed his arms over his chest in anger, looking to the great walls of the Glade. "I just don't understand how all of this is just happened."

"None of us understand, Gally. None of us," I paused standing to my feet, hoping he'd turn around to just at least try to understand. "But we still push on. We still try to defeat the constant questions and the pain from the loss of memory," I exhaled a deep breath of distraught. "For all we know, what we are doing could be saving someone else. We could be starting a new world and don't even know it. Or this could all be for nothing," I sighed in frustration. "But I'd rather try to seek for the greater good and do what feels right than live our lives behind these walls and give up." I had waited to get some form of recognition from Gally as he slowly turned to face me.

"I'll do my part," he stated firmly with a nod of respect as I looked to Alby and Newt. We all had exchanged glances with nods of respect before our gazes were instantly transfixed upon the walls of the Glade. They began to slide shut with a loud quaking sound of machinery as we watched closely. They soon had come to a complete stop before the sound of vicious grievers echoed through the walls.

"What the bloody hell was that?" Newt had questioned with sincere confusion and cautiousness.

"Grievers,"