Chapter 2

After Candace and Marcus left Mrs. Jackson began talking to MJ. "What kind of candy do you like MJ, I have snickers, M&m's, Reese's," she asked. "Snickers," he smiled. She handed him two pieces of candy and then grabbed her legal pad.

"So how's school going do you like school?" She asked. "Yes I love it," he replied. "What's your favorite subject?" "Math," "why do you like math?" She asked. "It's easy," he replied. "Do you play any sports?" She asked. "I played soccer, I want to try out for either the track or football team," he said.

"Yeah which one do you like best?" She asked. "Football," he replied. "Okay, how's it like living with your mom and dad?" She asked. "Good, My mommy and dad are good parents," he said. "What makes them good parents?" She asked. "They make sure I have clothes, and plenty of food and toys," he smiled.

"Good, do you ever think about your mom Grace?" She asked. He held his head down. "Yes, a lot," he replied. "Why did hold your head down?" She asked. "She would be here if it wasn't for me," he said. "That's not true think about it this way, she's no longer in pain, she's happy now in heaven, you took her from her pain," she said.

"I did?" He asked. "Yes, she was being abused by a man who said he loved her but didn't, she no longer has to hide her bruises anymore, she's no longer hurting," she said. He smiled a little. "How do you feel about Candace?" She asked. "She's a great mom, she accepts me as her son, I love her," he said.

"And your dad?" "He's cool," he shrugged. "Just cool?" She laughed. "Yup," he replied. "Does your parents every talk about what happened?" She asked. "Candace does she always encourages me," he replied. "What does Candace say?"

"She tells me that God has already forgiven me, and he loves me and my mom is smiling down on me, and that she's proud of me for being strong," he said. "Good, does your dad talk to you at all about it?" She asked. "No, I think my dad is mad at me," he said with his head down.

"Why?" She asked as she wrote things down on her legal pad. "Because we don't talk anymore, I asked my mommy could I do football so maybe my dad could spend time with me," He said. "Is that what's been bothering you you think your dad is angry with you MJ?" She asked as she handed him some tissue.

"Yes," he sobbed. "Okay well we're going to talk to dad-" "No I don't wanna talk to my daddy just Candace," he cried. She nodded her head and went to leave the room.

-------

Candace -

Me and Marcus were still standing outside waiting on the counselor to come out. I laid my head on his shoulder, and he wrapped his arms around my waist. "I hope everything's okay with my baby," I said. He kissed my neck and nibbled on my ear. "I think he gone be alright," Marcus said. "I hope so," I said as I pecked his lips.

Just then Mrs. Jackson came out with her clip board. "Can we go in now?" Marcus asked as we both walked up to her. She held her head down. "MJ only wants Mom to come not you Dad," she said. "What, Why he don't want me to come, I'm his pops," Marcus asked looking hurt. "Baby calm down I'll go in and see what's wrong okay," I said. He nodded his head and went to lean back against the wall.

When I walked in I saw MJ sitting on the couch with a scared look on his face. He looked like he had been crying. I kissed his forehead and wiped his face. "Are you okay baby?" I asked as I held his chin. He nodded his head but kept looking towards the door. "He's afraid of his dad," Mrs. Jackson said.

"What, MJ why are you afraid of your daddy?" I asked with a confused look on my face. "Because he doesn't talk to me anymore, he just yells at me, I think he's mad that I, he's mad at what I did," MJ sobbed.

I picked him up and put him in my lap. "MJ that's not true baby, your dad isn't mad at you, he doesn't know how to handle stuff like this, that's how come we got you counseling baby, your dad loves you very much he's always concerned about you," I said as I kissed his forehead. He wiped his eyes and blew his nose.

"Candace I think since you're the advocate, when you get home can you talk to both MJ and Marcus?" She asked. "Of course," I replied. "Okay well know that we kind of know the base of the problem next Wednesday we'll meet again and find out what the nightmares are about," she said. "Okay thank you so much Mrs. Jackson for your help," I said as I gave her a hug. "Your welcome," she replied.

When we met up with Marcus, MJ instantly put his head down. I decided to let him drive home with me so that I could give Marcus time to cool off.

After dinner, I made sure MJ had his bath, and then I tucked him in for bed. I kissed his forehead and turned his nightlight on. I left his door cracked and then I went in my room. Marcus was laying in bed staring at the ceiling. I hoped in bed and straddled his lap. He wrapped his arms around my waist, and pecked my lips.

"What's on your mind baby?" I asked as I rubbed down his chest. "Thinking about MJ, how come he didn't want me in the meeting," he said. "He's scared of you," I said. "What? How?" He asked. "You don't really talk to him about what happened, he thinks your mad at him because you guys don't go out anymore, and babe you do kind of yell at him too much," I said.

"Man that shit ain't true, and who are you, and Mrs. Jackson to tell me how I act or react with My son," he said as he pushed me off of him and hopped out of bed.

I was taken aback by his attitude. "Really Marcus? I understand your upset but watch your tone with me," I said. "Whatever man, like I said, you ain't even his moms, she ain't even a real counselor to be telling me how to handle My Son!" he yelled as he stormed out of the room.

I wiped my eyes as a tear fell down my face. All I ever try to do is help, and he turns his back on me. I shook my head, turned off the lights and drifted off to sleep.