Prologue

Once upon a time, wait no that makes it sound too happy and trust me this story isn't. See I'm no good at telling stories that are supposed to have a happy ending, seeing as mine never do. Maybe someone up there hates me or I'm just cursed with bad luck, who knows.

Sorry I feel like I've been complaining too much and have forgotten to introduce my self. My name is Cosimia Sugisaki, now don't laugh I think It's a great name, no one else I know shares it, but it's a pain to find my name in souvenir shops. According to my mum, I was named after my great-grandmother, why she was called that I have no idea, or why I was named after her for that matter. I'd ask my mum from time to time but she'd always give me this knowing look and say 'you'll find out when you're older'. What's that supposed to mean?

I hear that a lot, especially when I ask about my dad. I know not to ask anymore. My mum would always become sad and tell me that I would be told when I'm older. I'm fifteen now, my mum told me she would tell me when I'm sixteen, I guess that's only a few days away. I don't understand why sixteen is so important, but my mum seems to think that there is something important about that date.

What's so annoying is that my birthday is on Christmas Day, see I told you I was cursed with bad luck. Who wants a birthday on Christmas, it sucks. My family always use it as an excuse to not buy me as many presents, my mum's the only one who would say happy birthday to me. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and all the lights that people put up, the festivities and the joy it brings, but it does suck when people forget that it's your birthday.

My best friend is constantly making fun of me for it like I would choose to have my birthday then. I love him to bits though, no not in that way, he's like my brother. He lives alone as both his parents have died, I once asked my mum if we could adopt him, all she did was give me a funny look and tell me to go to bed. It was the middle of the afternoon. I felt like I was missing out on some big secret.

I always think everyone else knows something about me like it's a big joke that I'm missing out on. I know that sounds ridiculous like I'm paranoid, but I'm not. I've seen the looks people give me or how they start whispering when I pass them, even my mother does it. I feel like I'm crazy, but I know I'll find out on my sixteenth birthday.