Silence of the Alpha Chapter Seven

I felt as if I was going to faint. The fact that my father was only 50 feet and a wall away scared me. I thought I was finally free. Memories of my brother and Victor beating me crawled their way into my mind. My cold hand sought out Phoenix's warm one. He glanced down at me with confusion written across his face. I sighed and pulled him forward, making sure to stand slightly in front of him. I couldn't have my father hurting him.

I felt my father's presence before I even entered the room. He was standing in the far corner of the living room, eyes alert. I could tell he was uncomfortable being in another pack house. When he spotted me, his eyes narrowed and his sharp growl cut through the room.

"Where the hell have you been?" His growl slipped in with his voice, making him sound every bit of the Beta he was. I simply whimpered and bowed my head submissively.

Phoenix's grip on my hand tightened, and then disappeared completely. I panicked for a second as he walked towards my father calmly. I could tell, though, that he was anything but calm. The anger was coming of him in waves at my father's actions.

My father's eyes widened fractionally at the sight of the tall Alpha standing in front of him. I almost smirked as he stood taller, trying to appear aggressive. He looked like a lone puppy compared to Phoenix.

Phoenix calmly put his hand out between them. "I'm Alpha Phoenix. And you are?"

My father's eyes narrowed once again as they shot to me. "I'm that little bi-" He stopped himself. When he started speaking again, he was much more relaxed. "I'm that girl's father. Beta Daniel."

Phoenix pulled his hand away before my father could even touch him. "Then where have you been? When a high ranking member's family member goes missing, a search is started immediately. It's been 24 hours. She was right next door, and you couldn't find her?" He seemed upset at the fact that my father didn't even try to look for me. "And where's your back-up? And what about your Alpha. He should be here to retrieve her." His anger was rising. I quickly raised my hand to rest it on his back. He instantly relaxed as he leaned back slightly into my hand.

My father noticed the small exchange and growled at it. His eyes shot to me, fire turning them from cold amber to the bright, liquid gold of his wolf. "So you did find your mate. What did I tell you, Dahlia?" I flinched at harshness of his voice. He was never this angry. His voice was always cold and emotionless, just like his face.

Daniel's voice managed to force its way into my head, causing me to cringe. Reject him! Now!

Even though he wasn't my Alpha, his command still took a hold of me, as he was my father. My body turned to look at Phoenix without my permission. Tears were streaking down my cheeks, dropping onto my shirt when they passed my chin. Phoenix's eyes flashed with confusion and fear, along with another emotion I couldn't quite make out.

I opened my mouth to say the thing that would officially kill me from the inside out. Before I could say a single word, a figure came barreling into the room to stand directly between me and Phoenix. His hand shot out to cover my mouth, muffling any and all words coming out of my mouth. I was shocked at the events, confused as to who it was. As the figure came into focus, I saw that it was my Alpha, huffing like he'd just run a mile.

"I don't think you want to do that." His words confused me. I thought he was on my father's side. His eyes told me otherwise; their forest green held concern. "Do not reject him." His command struck me, overtaking my father's. I felt relieved. I don't know what I would've done without Phoenix.

My father's growl could have been heard miles away. The air around him was vibrating, showing that he was on the cusp of shifting. "I swear; I will kill all of you!" His eyes rested on me, fury burning bright. "And I'll make you suffer for what you did to my mate!" With that, he ran out, shifting on his way out the door.

The room was silent for what felt like an eternity. Once everyone felt that Daniel was out of the territory, we finally relaxed. Phoenix and Kaine were staring at me, while my Alpha simply stood over in the corner, watching me with cautious eyes. The silence was starting to drive me insane.

Kaine was the first to say anything. "Woah." Phoenix and my Alpha rolled their eyes.

Phoenix took my face in his hands, checking me over for injuries, even though he knew I wasn't hurt. "Are you okay, love? What just happened? And why is Alpha Colton in my living room?" His questions were making my head throb. I just nodded, trying to answer his first question. This only got him more riled up.

Alpha Colton stepped in at that moment, saving me from a Phoenix break-down. "My dumb Beta wants his daughter back. I know that may not be what it seems like, but it is. He tried to convince me that Dahlia was the one who killed her mother. I believed it until I saw the bruises the other day." He looked at me with fatherly concern.

Phoenix's eyes shot to him when he said 'bruises'. "Bruises? What bruises?" He looked back at me. "Dahlia, what is he talking about?"

Alpha Colton just looked at me in surprise. "Wow. I can't believe you didn't tell him. Actually, I can believe it... You never complained before. I always thought it was just friendly teasing when the other pack members would say something to you. But now I know better. I should have seen it sooner; I should have been a better Alpha." His confession was making me confused. He never knew about all of this? I raked through my memories, remembering all of the people who hit me. None of them had been him. Ever.

Phoenix was silent. His face had frozen over, reminding me of my father. I forced myself not to flinch as I tried to read his electric blue eyes. I knew his wolf had taken over. I wrapped my arms tightly around him, willing him to calm down. It took a good while, but finally, he relaxed and leaned into me. Anger was still coming off of him in waves, but he was much calmer than before.

I felt Alpha Colton pat me softly on the back. "You have me on your side against your father. Good luck, sweetheart." He left the house, starting his truck and leaving. Kaine left the room soon after.

When Phoenix and I were completely alone, he pulled away and held me at arm's length. "Why didn't you tell me..?" He looked absolutely lost and hurt.

I sighed and lowered my head, ashamed at what I had done- or not done. "I'm so sorry..." He took in a sharp breath, shocked that I had spoken. He got over it quickly and bent to press his forehead against mine.

He asked his next question in a soft voice. "Is there anything else I need to know?" I shook my head, feeling our noses rub together gently. He had gotten the gist of everything from Alpha Colton.

Just as we pulled apart, the pack house was flooded with the high school pack members. They were chatting and messing around. When they saw the serious looks on mine and Phoenix's faces, they shut up and continued their ways upstairs or out the back door.

Phoenix shook his head and made his way to the kitchen. I followed close behind him, afraid my father would be around one of the corners. When we stepped into the kitchen, we were greeted by Kaine and Mike. My eyes lit up at the sight of Mike.

I ran towards him, tackling him in mid-air. He caught me, laughing the whole time. "Woah there, little lady! Why the rush?" I just smiled and hugged him tighter. He was the only normal person in this situation. He didn't have a title or a back story. He was just your everyday city-boy.

My mate didn't seem to like the fact that I had run into the arms of another man, as he was fighting back his wolf. I dropped from Mike's hold, feeling happy for the first time since my father showed up.

Feeling playful, I walked up to Phoenix nonchalantly, and then poked him in the arm before running as fast as I could in the opposite direction. All of his anger dissipated when he started to chase after me. I poked both Mike and Kaine on the way out, adding them into the fun. I made it all the way outside before I was tackled by my ever-so-playful Alpha. We rolled down the subtle decline behind the house before landing in a huge field at the bottom. We laughed and laughed, feeling so incredibly carefree.

Once we both tired out, Phoenix pulled me into his arms, causing me to yawn and relax against him. I finally decided what I was going to do. I was going to relax and be happy until my father came to me. For now, I would be the girl I was almost ten years ago.