Silence of the Alpha Chapter Six

Kaine and I spent hours together that day. He told me all about his life, not questioning why I never answered his questions or said anything. He was a very carefree soul, and didn't let anything bother him. About a half hour into our conversation, Phoenix came in and seemed to get upset at the fact that I was talking to his Beta. He didn't say anything though, and simply kissed me on the forehead and left the room. Every hour, on the hour, he would come in and check on us. I don't know what he expected to find us doing, but I knew we weren't going to be doing it.

It had been four hours since we started talking when Kaine finally stopped for a deep breath. "I'm so sorry! I've been talking this whole time, and you haven't gotten to say a thing." He looked apologetic, but he had a knowing look in his eyes.

I simply smiled and nodded for him to continue with his life story. Instead of saying anything, he hopped out of his chair and headed to the stove. I hadn't noticed that one of the pack members had left the water kettle on the stove, with steaming water in it. Kaine got some hot chocolate and put a spoonful into two mugs he had put in front of me. He then filled both with the boiling water and popped spoons into both. I smiled my thanks, which he returned.

"So, where are you from, Dahlia?" He had settled down nicely into his seat, sipping his hot cocoa.

I felt fear run through me, realizing I would have to speak to answer his question. I cleared my throat before taking a deep breath.

"I'm from the pack next to you." The smile on Kaine's face never faltered, causing relief to flood though my mind.

"Really? Who would've thought you'd be right next door?" His sentence ended in a spacey look, his smile dropping into a frown.

I furrowed my brows, watching as his head bowed submissively at something behind me. I turned to look and saw that there was a very tall man standing only a few feet from me. He looked extremely familiar.

As if reading my mind, his hand eased its way out towards me in an offering. "My name is Christian. I'm Phoenix's father." I gasped. Now I know why he looked so familiar.

I took his hand and respectfully bowed my head. He chuckled. "No need to bow. Technically, you rank above me." I frowned and found myself looking off into space. I guess I was the Luna, and he wasn't the Alpha anymore. The fact still bothered me. I had always been forced to respect my elders and treat them like they were above me.

Christian noticed my silence and cocked his head to the side. Just as he was about to speak, Phoenix came barreling in with a huge smile on his face. When he noticed his father, his smile dropped, a frown replacing it. He quickly came to my side and wrapped an arm tightly around my waist.

"Father." Phoenix had a very serious look on his face. Christian just smiled and nodded his head at his son. By the way his father was acting, this was how Phoenix normally acted around him.

I reluctantly pulled away from Phoenix's tight hold, needing to get away from all of the tension. Kaine noticed my discomfort and came to my rescue, much to Phoenix's distaste. Kaine came towards me and steered me out of the room, chattering the whole way. He seemed nervous, keeping his hands away from me. It didn't occur to me that something was wrong until I heard Phoenix's growl and then his father's calming voice telling him they needed to talk.

I was unable to hear any longer due to Kaine's incessant prattling beside me, and the fact that I was three rooms away. We joined a few others in the movie room, and sat to watch whatever was on the TV. I couldn't seem to focus on the movie, or on the fact that Kaine and a few others were trying to spark a conversation with me. I was much too focused on the conversation going on in the kitchen. I could only make out soft grumbling, which frequently grew louder and then dropped again. It worried me that two Alphas were arguing. Anything could happen. I had seen this before; two generations of Alphas fighting. My brother and father had gotten into it once. They both ended up in the hospital in comas for weeks. It scared me that the same thing could happen to Phoenix and his father.

I was finally able to snap out of it when I heard the grumbling stop. I turned my head to look back at Kaine and saw that he had a worried, yet spacey expression on his face. He returned to reality after a few seconds, fear splashed across his face.

He met my eyes, letting the fear wash away slightly. "I think you should go to the kitchen."

I didn't need any more persuading. I was in the kitchen in a matter of seconds. Phoenix was leaned against the counter, red-faced and huffing. There was a low growl emanating deep in his chest. I approached him slowly, terrified of what he could do. He was angry, and it was very had to calm an angry wolf.

By the time I reached him, he was at his breaking point. I saw the air around him start to waver. I couldn't let him shift in the house. He would hurt someone; or worse, kill them.

I reached my hand out and let it press against the skin of his shoulder. "Phoenix..." His head shot up. I saw that his eyes were the electric blue of his wolf. As soon as he saw who I was, his sapphire eyes melted back into their blue seas. The coldness in his face softened with worry. I allowed my brows to furrow in confusion; why would he be worried?

Phoenix reached his arms out to me, silently asking to hold me. I responded by pressing my body against his, wrapping my arms tightly around his torso. I heard his long sigh of relief from above me as his arms slid around me.

"You shouldn't be in here... I could've hurt you." The worry was obvious in his voice. I didn't respond. I just buried my face deeper into his chest, thrilled that he wasn't hurt.

We stood in this position for a good ten minutes before I finally pulled away to look up at his face. The love in his eyes made my heart melt and my body go numb. He lifted his hands to my face, sliding them across my cheeks and down my neck to rest on my shoulders. "Are you okay?"

I searched his eyes carefully before responding, looking for any remnants of his wolf. When I saw that there were none, I slowly nodded my head. He breathed a sigh of relief and kissed my forehead softly.

"I'm so sorry you had to see me like that. I never wanted you to see that side of me. It'll never happen again, okay?" He seemed genuinely worried. "Please, don't be afraid of me..." My eyes widened. He must have seen me searching for his wolf. If I knew anything about mates, it was that the male was always terrified that his mate would hate him.

I lightly traced the outline of his collarbone, trying to reassure him in the best way I could. Every muscle in his body relaxed and his eyes slid closed. I smiled at his perfect face and rose up on my tip-toes to peck him lightly on his soft lips. As I dropped back down on my feet, his eyes snapped open to look at me. A love-stricken smile slowly grew on his face. Before I had any time to react, I was lifted up into the air and swung around in circles.

Phoenix just laughed and laughed before finally setting me back down on my feet. We both had smiles stretched across our faces. Our happiness was interrupted by Kaine rushing into the kitchen with a concerned look on his face.

Phoenix looked at him in confusion. "What's wrong, Kaine?"

Kaine let out a breath I didn't know he was holding and looked directly at me. "You have a visitor."

I furrowed my brows at this statement. Who could possibly be here to see me?

Kaine read the question in my eyes and let out another deep breath. He glanced at Phoenix and then back at me. The concern was still evident on his face.

"He said he's your father."