TWENTY-TWO

A week had passed since we kissed. Through the days, he had avoided looking at me as he also did his best to keep me comfortable. Marina had begun to walk again yet needed to take her time walking from place to place, she'd even have me drag her across the fields for fun.

We would bathe together, eat with Lance outside on clear days, and during rain we sat near the fireplace in the living room. Most of the time I would be silent, and keep to myself as I wandered around my mind.

Time had gone away, but I kept marking down the days to remember how long I've been captive. Honestly, it didn't feel as if I was trapped anymore. My head had become occupied with caring for Marina, tending to the garden, sleeping, and walking out on my own till Lance called me back in. There would be times I'd even forget my name.

Why does my head spin?

My mind had been fogged up and I couldn't see what island I was heading for. Was it home? Was it to another place? I couldn't tell when I had these spins. Everything was one giant blur, it only happened if I stopped to focus and think.

I fell back as I pulled weeds. Touching my temple, I sighed, "What's wrong with me...ugh."

Lance picked me up, then had me resting my back on his arm while he removed the garden gloves I wore.

"I think this vegetarian thing isn't working for you, Blanca." He scooped me up then walked over to the porch. "I need you to take in more calories if you keep on buzzing around."

"I-I just need-" I muttered then squinted my eyes. It had suddenly became too bright for me.

"I'll go fetch thicker food for you, just rest."

I didn't want to sleep, something in me was trying to tell me rest, but another voice quietly encouraged for me to stay awake.

You can leave when he goes.

"Wh-what...go...where," I spoke to no one.

I felt a finger brush hair away from my face. A blanket was tucked over my arms as I shut my eyes in frustration.

Was it food, lack of nutrients? I had been over-working myself, but didn't know why I always felt like doing something productive. It felt as if a white sheet would cover up each action I had last done, making feel as if I hadn't done anything at all.

Before finally settling into a dream, I heard a faded voice, "I want to keep you..."

Blades of green grass weaved through steel bars, creating a basket around me. My voice travelled through the yellow skies that swirled through the top opening. I called out for help as I rushed to try and rip apart the barrier. Nothing worked so instead I focused on climbing. Once I reached the top, I reached to dip my hand into the sky but was blocked. Glass. It was glass, and even though my knuckles banged for it to break, it didn't.

"Let me out!" My hand slipped and I found myself falling back. Shutting my eyes and embracing my chest for the impact. I felt nothing. Snapping my head down, I saw the bottom; my feet hung in the air as the rush of air coming from behind me played wildly with my hair. Twirling around like a dog trying to catch its tail, I could see bits of the cream wings that fluttered behind me.

Looking up, I tried once more to push through the glass.

"Argh!" My elbows stuck to the glass as I forced my wings to their greatest speed. Small cracks began to spread out. It was working.

Suddenly I shattered into a million pieces; my legs mixed with my eyes, and each strand of hair began shimmering particles descending slowly back down.