(46) No Time Like The Present

Chapter 46

When I woke up the next morning, it took a while for me to remember why there was a heavy grim weight weighing down my stomach. Then I sat up, glanced over at the dusty box on the floor and sighed, putting my head in my hands.

When Matt had come home last night, I’d immediately dragged him out the kitchen before he could tend to Zoe’s pasta. “I need a word.”

“What’s wrong?” he’d said, noticing my anxiety straight away.

“One of Alexis’ diaries is gone. It’s the one I haven’t read yet. Did you take it?”

Matt had frowned, and any doubt I’d had melted into cold fear. “No... but who else would’ve?”

I’d twisted my hands anxiously. “I think it was Jason.”

“What?” Matt had exclaimed, loud enough for Zoe to call, “Hey, you guys okay out there?”

“Fine!” Matt had leaned closer, keeping his voice down. “Are you sure? Why would he want a diary?”

“It must have something in it that’ll stop Daniel Changing,” I’d blurted, and everything else spilled out of me in a rush. “He found Daniel today, and told him that he could stop him Phasing for twenty-four hours so he could say his goodbyes, as long as he Changed at his initiation, but we’re not sure how he’s going to force Daniel to Change, and there has to be a way to stop him and it must be in the book-”

My voice had been slowly creeping towards hysterical before Matt cut me off. “Lex –Alexis – calm down, okay?” He’d run a hand through his hair. “I don’t know why he took it. There’s nothing in there that had anything like... this.”

We’d returned to Zoe and eaten dinner after the discussion, but any conversation I had with her felt strained, and I could tell she knew something was up. I muttered an excuse to leave the table, and then headed for an early, fitful night’s sleep.

I showered quickly and twisted my damp hair into a knot as I chewed my slice of toast. Matt emerged bleary eyed from his room as I was heading down the stairs again.

“Lex? It’s half eight,” he mumbled.

“I’m going out,” I said. “If you need me I’ll have my phone.”

“Who wants visitors at this time?” Matt muttered, turning back to his room.

Maybe someone who only has a few more hours left.

Even still, I thought it would probably be the polite thing to check it was okay for me to come over, so I reached my mind out to Daniel.

Daniel?

His voice returned a second later, groggy with sleep. Morning, babe.

Sorry. Did I wake you up?

It’s cool. I thought I could hear him shifting, but maybe it was just me. What’s up?

Can I come over?

Sure. That would be great. His voice suddenly lowered slightly. Um... Mum and Rose are kind of pretending my birthday’s today. Because tomorrow... um. You know.

My heart burned at the thought of what Rose and her mother had to be going through. Oh, cool. I’ll bring your present round, then.

Daniel brightened again. You got me a present?

Aren’t I a wonderful person?

Daniel ignored the slight sarcasm. The best, he said. When’re you gonna be here?