Chapter 4

F O U R

"AND THE PYTHAGOREAN Theorem . . ."

      I started tuning out my math teacher as I lost interest. We'd started learning about the Pythagorean Theorem in eighth grade and finished it in ninth. Why my teacher thought we still needed to work on it, I had no idea.

      I was thankful when my phone vibrated in my hoodie pocket, signaling I had a text. It took just about everything in me to refrain from jumping in joy at the interruption to the torturous lecture.

      Turns out the text has been from Jay. Then again, it's not like I got texts from anyone but the three boys, anyways. Thank Tyler or being the one to buy me an iPhone5.

      Figured out a slight prob for this evening

      I furrowed my eyebrows and sent a quick glance up to make sure the teacher wasn't paying any attention to me. This just so happened to be one of those teachers who's not so lenient with electronics as some of the others.

      When I was sure he wasnt watching me, I responded with a quick, what is it?

      Three dots showed up in the bottom left corner of the screen before he answered. We sort of don't know how to get u from school without anyone seeing u wit us.

      I rolled my eyes; that wasn't going to be a problem. They just worry too much. I'll be fine, Jay. I can walk.

      I could practically sense his distaste for that idea.

      Yeah but u might get hurt.

      I snorted, causing several heads to shoot up in search for the source of the noise. I gulped, grateful only two or three people noticed it had come from me, and waited a moment before glancing back down at my phone. I had no doubt in my mind that Cyrus was leaning over his shoulder to read the messages in the back of the room.

      What does Cyrus think bout all this? I asked him.

      How'd u know Cyrus was watching?

      I resisted the urge to laugh. Seriously, I knew way them better than they thought.

      Well is he?

      There was a long pause between Jay's next answer. Maybe.

      I smirked.

      Told u so.

      Yeah yeah.. and Cyrus said ur a big girl and can take care of urslf.

      That's bc I am :)

      I could practically see him roll his eyes from here, but I resisted the urge to glance back at him. He was sitting in the back right of the room, Cyrus to his left, while I sat towards the middle-left side.

      My phone buzzed again.

      Just make sure u get home safe. We'll tell Tyler the news.

      I grinned at my success. Okay. Thanks guys

•••••

      "I changed my mind," Jay stated protectively.

      It was lunch time, so everyone was either roaming the school halls or in the cafeteria. I'd been on my way there when a hand grab my hood and pulled me into the stairwell. Turns out it had been Jay, hiding me from view of anyone passing by up and down the stairs. Cyrus blocked the door, and anyone who took a glance over would probably think they were interrogating me instead of having an actual conversation.

      I raised an eyebrow. Jay and Tyler stood in front of me with their arms crossed. Cyrus just looked amused from the doorway. "About what?"

      "Walking home alone," Tyler answered instead.

      I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my own chest. "How long until you three realize I can take care of myself?"

      "I already have," Cyrus commented. Jay shot him a warming glare, but Cyrus only grinned.

      "Yeah, yeah," Jay deadpanned. "We're going to walk through one of the back alleyways with you so no one notices. I don't like the thought of you walking all the way there on your own. You know I live in the bad part of town, Skye."

      "Jay, I'm going to be fine. I've walked it before, remember?"

      He scowled. "Yes, and you had to run halfway there because some old, drunken guy tried to bring you home for some 'fun time'."

      I shuddered at the memory. They looked just as uncomfortable as I felt.

      "In her defense," Tyler cut in as an attempt to lighten the mood, "he didn't stand a chance when he caught up to her."

      "Who's side are you on?" Jay muttered. He returned his attention to me, his irritated expression instantly switching to one of concern as he tugged at the labret under his lip. "Please, Skye?"

      "Jay, come on, I'll be—"

      "It's still storming."

      "—walking with you guys after school," I concluded.

      Jay chuckled and shook his head.