Chapter 2: Family.

Start from the beginning

"MOM!!!" A voice rumbles through the whole diner. I look over to see a very slender female about 6'2 and blonde rushing toward us. Can it be? No.

"Gracie! Oh, my." Marie's voice cracked. I guess it could be Jake's sister. I mean she's in college and they get a bigger break for Christmas. Jake's face is priceless. He's completely shocked. Marie attacks her daughter with hugs and kisses and "Are you okay? How was your flight?"

After talking to her mother, she nods at me and my parents, then looks at Jake.

"Aww, Jakey-pooh! I've missed you soooo much!" She belted out. She rushed to him and squeezed his cheeks like an old granny would do. Then she pulled him up into a quick and tight embrace making him drop my hand.

"Grace. Chill. I've missed you,too." He chuckles. She realizes that she made him drop my hand and her mouth forms an "o". And I just shake my head at her. She just takes her a seat on the other side of Jake sitting between him and his mother. Now, there's two empty seats.

"Well, I know we are here for a holiday dinner.." I say and glance at Jake and Marie. "But...I need to tell you guys something." I tell my parents.

"Well, honey. Do you know we are starved..could it wait." I just nod at them. Couldn't they at least, act somewhat excited or nervous? Do they even care about what goes on in my life? Jake grabs my hand and gives it squeeze. I give him a small smile.

We all order our food. And me, being too focuse on how I'm going to tell me parents, didn't pay attention to what everyone got. I do know Jake and I ordered a pizza to share. Half sausage and half pepperoni. Marie excused herself to the restroom when she recieved a phone call. A couple mintues after she left, I excused myself. The time to tell them just came nearer and nearer. What would I tell them? How would they react? Am I overthinking it? I mean, I am a freakin' Senior! I'm old enough to make my own decisions. I reached for the door but paused when I heard a loud voice. It was Marie.

"No...Vincent?...How?....Why now?...Damn it! George!....Please...Don't do this to us!....Not now!....No,....I won't sign them....I could careless....papers....how can....you know what.....no...fine!...good bye!" I heard her hang up the phone. I finally decided it'd be safe to walk in. I walked in and it looked like she litterally was pulling her hair out. It was sticking up everywhere and her eyes were blodshot. She looked like she aged ten years. Her eyes diverted over to me and they grew wide.

"Did you hear that?" She barely managed. I nodded shyly. "Please, don't say anything. I don't want Jake hurt yet. Not when he has you to worry about." I just nodded. "Who would do this to us?" She finally broke and was crying. I hugged her and finally got her to calm down.

"Come on, Marie. Let me help wash off your face." I rinsed off her face the best I could. I used her make-up to cover up where she'd been crying. She looks like she's been perfectly fine. I start talking about how Jake was younger and what he used to do. Like putting a bowl on his head and running around with a blanket tied around his neck that he claimed was a cape. I had her laughing which was good since we were making our way back over to the table. Jake smiled when he saw us. Poor Jake. When he found out about his parents getting a divorce and his father taking Vincent, it's going to kill him.

"What's wrong, Annabelle?" He mouths. I just shake my head and give him a smile. As we both sit down, I notice everyone is finished eating. I look at my parents and they are talking amongst themselves. So, I clear my throat. They both look at me.

"Honey? Are you sick? Dear, you shouldn't..."

"Mom, I'm fine. I just think it's best that..."

"Oh, thank Jesus! Don't scare me like that!" And she returned her attention back to my father. I cleared my throat again and she just shot me a warning glance.

"MOM, DAD! I have something to tell you!" I talk louder.

"Annabelle! Manners!" She gapes at me in horror.

"NO!" I stand up in my seat. "You never listen to me when I need to talk to you! You never pay me any mind. When are y'all going to.."

"Dear, you don't scream at the table nor do you say 'y'all'."

"Y'all! Y'all! Y'all! I'll say whatever I want! It isn't liek you'll hear me anyways!..."

"Honey, you shouldn't talk to your mother like that. You..."

"You know what?! Forget you! Why not just listen once? Huh? Why can't one important thing in my life matter to you! Huh? You know what you don't deserve to know now!" I explode on them. They just stare at me in shock.

"Annabelle, We are leaving, now. Let's go." She stands up and looks at Marie. "My appologies..."

"No." She looks at me.

"No? Excuse me? I..."

"No, I'm not leaving with you. Not today, not tomorrow. Not ever."

"Excuse me? You know what little..."

"No. I don't want to hear it. If you don't want to listen to me, I"m not going to listen to you." I tell them, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Fine. Good bye." They turn and leave. Stubborn butt parents. I turn to find Jake, Marie, and Gracie all staring at me.

"I'm sorry, guys..." I trail off.

"No." Jake says. He grabs my hand. "I'm proud of you. I don't see how you could stand that from them. I would have already said something. I love you so much." He said and kissed my cheek. Gracie just laughed.

"No need to be sorry." Marie says.

"They had it coming from what I know!" Gracie says. I smile at them. Why couldn't I had a family like them? No, wait. I do. They are my family. I'll love them forever.