Chapter Thirty Five

Start from the beginning

This long list of lies was pulling me down deeper and faster than a shiny new pair of cement slippers would, but how could I get out? If I told Dad and Sammy who my boyfriend was well, it just wouldn't end well. Cops daughter with the crime leaders? Sheesh, when did my life become a cliché YA novel?

"And are we ever going to meet this guy? I'm started to think he's imaginary." Dad grumbled.

"He's not imagery, we are both just...busy. It's hard for him to get off work for this stuff."

"This stuff? It's just dinner Katie. What, he can' make time for you and your family?"

"Family is very important to him. Trust me." The most important thing.

"Then where the hell is he?"

"Dad." I groaned.

"Are you embarrassed by us?"

"Dad! No!"

Seeing that the conversation was clearly not going in any kind of a positive direction Uncle Sammy sighed and stood up, taking my neglected plate with him and beginning to clean up.

"It's not like we live far away from each other, not like we don't see each other often. There isn't any reason for us to not be meeting this guy."

There were actually three very good reasons for them not meeting.

Dad's gun.

Sammy's gun.

Alessio's gun.

"I know Dad, I know. He just works weird hours."

"Damn it Katie, how am I supposed to threaten your boyfriends and protect your honor if I don't get to meet them? What am I gonna have to do, get one of the PI's on you?"

I rolled my eyes. "That's a total invasion of privacy. I'm not a little girl anymore, you don't have to resort to scare tactics on my boyfriends anymore."

"Now, now." Sammy called over his shoulder. "Why don't you just cut his heart out and step on it yourself? You're always going to be his little girl."

I sighed. "I know that, I just mean-"

Dad leaned forward. "Do you remember when you were six years old and you told me all boys were yucky?"

"I was six. And I had watching Smelly Shawn eat his own ear wax that day dad. Come on."

"That's not the point. You used to tell us stuff, keep us in the loop, introduce us to your boyfriends at least!"

"I tell you stuff! I will introduce you guys. And you know, you never answered my question about Officer Cooper."

"Because we aren't trying to help you write some crazy story Kate. Cooper is undercover if you outted him-"

"I know Dad, I'm not stupid." Well, depending on who you asked that might have up for debate. "I just want to know if he's you know, legit."

"Why would you think he wasn't?"

I shrugged. "I just didn't know if he had actually put anything forward yet, helped anything, gotten anyone behind bars...you know?"

"It's an ongoing investigation Kate." Sam cut in. "We haven't stepped forward to make any arrests yet. Too risky, we could blow his cover."

I nodded slowly. "So no. He hasn't given anything."

"I didn't say that. Why the sudden interest in this anyway?"

"Told you. Boss." How many lies was that tonight?

Dad and Sam exchanged looks and I stood up, Donato followed my lead. "Are you dating the tart?" Dad finally asked. "Is that what this is all about? You seem to know an awful lot about this investigation, won't let us meet the boyfriend I'm starting to think maybe you don't want us to know who you're dating because we already know them."

Well.

"I have to go Dad."

"She didn't deny it." He grumbled to Sam.

I rolled my eyes and gave both a hug and a kiss. This dinner had proved to be less helpful than I had hoped for. I mean, I could at least confirm that Nash was a cop. It still didn't quite add up. I'd decided to take Donato for a walk down to the station and checked out Nash's office. It was cleared out. But Dad and Sammy both confirmed that he was a cop. Now to figure out if he was dirty or not.

"You'll meet him soon, I promise." I assured them both as I latched Donato's leash onto his collar. "I'll talk to him, you guys will meet him soon."

---------------------------------------------------------------

I know I said I'd post on Sunday ): Honestly, I struggled with this chapter. It's really just a filler, but it's a little nice to see Kate trying to investigate. To make up for not posting the chapter (crappy chapter) as early as promised there will be a second update this week!

Reminder for those of you who are confused about "officer Cooper" alllllll the way back in book one Nash was introduced as officer Cooper. Nash Cooper is his full name.

Good news, I will be doing a bonus update. Even better news YOU guys can pick which POV you'd like. Kate, Alessio, Nash, Silvano, Pietro, Stacey, idc. Whoever gets the most votes. I can't promise how quickly it will get done to be honest, just because if it's a pov other than Kate or Alessio it might be hard for me to get into character enough to be able to write it. But yeah, drop a comment letting me know which POV you would most like to see even if it's Kate or Alessio (:

Q&A!!!

Answers can be found here, if by chance I've missed your question, you can always ask. Best way to get in touch with me would be Facebook. While I do read every comment, they can sometimes can lost in the mix and replying to all comments would just be too much for me. So private messages, facebook especially, are the most sure fire way to get your questions answered. Here's the link to the Q&A answers, I started a blog :D No clue what it'll be about or how often I'll update it so no biggie if you don't follow but it seemed like the best way to handle the questions and answers. 

https://rafrancoblog.wordpress.com/

Last thing I wanted to touch on in the authors note is throwing it out there that I started a new novel. It's called "Heavy Wears The Crown" it is a romance novel, bad boy good girl. Heavy Wears the Crown is not only the title of the book but also the title of the band bad boy Nolan Doufer sings for (: It'll be a lot of fun and I would be forever grateful should decide to give it a whirl.

As always, don't forget to vote and comment!(: