Disguised

AKARI

"You're what?"

I sigh, shaking my head at Kiba, who is flailing his arms dramatically, his face red. Why he can't understand this, I don't know. "I said," I say slowly for his benefit, "that you guys are going back to the Village ahead of me. I'm going to the Land of Waves."

I made this decision last night, after my conversation with Gaara. When I'd finally stopped laughing, he'd convinced me to go to sleep. I reluctantly agreed, having liked his company after pushing people out for so long. And he'd made me smile, for the first time in... in a while. But I was dead tired, so I did what he said and made my way back to camp. I curled up on my sleeping bag a little ways away from Hinata, Hanabi and Temari, who were all fast asleep. And as I lay there, slowly drifting into the blackness of sleep, I stared out at the Land of Waves' bridge, connecting it to the Land of Fire, and made my choice.

I'm going to see Haku and Zabuza's graves.

Kakashi told me where they are some time ago, when I'd asked him about Haku. When I'd found out he was nice enough to give the two of them a proper burial, I almost broke down crying. Not my best moment, but whatever.

"BUT WHY?!" Kiba demands, with Akamaru barking just as loudly, trying to lend his voice to his owner's agument. It still doesn't carry much weigth if you ask me.

"I have some... business here," I say, reluctant to bring up Haku. My team knows who he is, but still. It's personal for me.

"But you're going alone!" the noisy Inuzuka shouts, arms still flailing. "Yes," I agree, grabbing onto his arms and pulling them down to his sides forcefully. "I am. But the Land of Waves is a peaceful country now. I won't be in any danger."

"Akari! You just can't do this!" he argues, and I roll my eyes. "Please, Kiba," I say. "Just let me do this. It means the world to me."

He blinks, leaning closer to squint at me. I sweat drop under his intense gaze, then give him a tentative smile. "Please, Kiba," I beg, as his eyes widen to an unimaginable level, so much so that I'm afraid they're going to pop out of his head and hit me in the face.

"Y-You're smiling," he breathes. Then his voice grows stronger, and louder. Much, much louder. "YOU'RE SMILING AKARI! WHAT THE HELL?! WHY ARE YOU SMILING?! AH! THIS IS GREAT! AKARI'S SMILING!"

Everyone turns to look at him due to his poorly planned outburst, and I sweat drop, feeling all their gazes shift to me. I guess it is a little surprising...

I wave at everyone casually, holding back a frown when I spot Kankuro'a smirking face. Even Temari is hiding her giggles behind a hand. Uh, did I miss something?

At least Gaara seems normal, calmly looking at me with his sea-green eyes.

But really, it's my teammates who worry me the most.

Shino... Why do I get the feeling that you might actually tackle hug me? I may faint if you do that. And Hinata. Oh God, she's gonna start blubbering!

Hanabi, eh. I don't think she gives a crap about my well being. Back at ya, little Hyuga. You already remind me of you father. Not. A. Good. Thing.

"I'm gonna go now," I say slowly, backing away from the group. I don't get five steps away when my entire team, including Shino, tackles me to the ground in a pile-on hug. They're crushing me to death!

I groan, as Kiba's grinning face appears above me. "You're back," he says happily, his smile turning soft and sweet. I offer a small one of my own, despite the fact that I can't breathe. "Now... would you mind... letting me... breathe?" I pant, and his canine eyes widen. "Crap!" he hisses, and starts to shove the others off me. I laugh slightly as I see their apologetic faces, turned towards the ground. Hinata looks back up at me when she hears the smile. "Akari!" she exclaims, our earlier tension forgotten. She wraps me in a hug of her own, as soft and sweet as Kiba's smile. I hug her back, saying softly, "I'm sorry I worried you all so much." She blushes as she pulls away, shaking her head adamantly. "You have no reason to be sorry," she assures me, then blushes harder. "I'm the one who couldn't understand your feelings."