Capture and Release

"Shikamaru," I growl, straining against the water binding my wrists together.

Yes, water is being used to keep me from ripping my friend's head off.

Kiba and I had rushed to find the others as fast as we could, realizing too late that the enemy Ninja was expecting us.

He used some type of Hidden Rain jutsu to bind our hands and feet, then knocked us against a building, right beside Shikamaru, Ino and Shino.

"Why on earth didn't you say something when you ended up on a team with absolutely no use in this situation?"

He blinks at me, his eyes bright with regret. "Yeah, I was planning on luring the enemy out. I'd figured he'd seen my jutsu and would figure out that it was pretty weak under these conditions, and would think that we'd be an easy target."

"That doesn't explain why you chose to be in a team without anyone who could help you."

"Miscalculation?" he offers.

I just scowl, watching for the Ninja to return. He entered Hokage Tower, still under the guise of Asuma Sensei, awhile ago. I can only hope someone catches him before he does any damage.

"So you took out the one disguised as Kurenai Sensei?" I hear Shino ask Kiba.

Kiba grins proudly, despite what's going on.

"Yeah, man," he says. "It was epic. Shoulda seen the look on her face when she realized that Akari had set her up!"

I roll my eyes. He can boast later, once we're, you know, not at the mercy of an enemy NINJA!

Ino is sobbing quietly, her head pressed against her knees, drawn up to her chest. I feel awful for dragging her into this. I think Shikamaru dragged her out of her family's flower shop. To think, right now, she could be with her family instead up with us.

Hell, I don't want to be with us either!

Kiba suddenly jerks his head up, watching Hokage Tower expectantly. The doors open, and the man who is not Asuma steps out, some small child in front of him.

"Who is that?" I whisper. Everyone, excluding Shino, shakes their heads. They can't see the kid either, I guess.

As I strain to make out the small figure's features, I let out a gasp.

The water around my wrists is slowly engulfing more of my arms, and the same thing is happening with my legs.

"He's planning to drown us," Shino says cheerily.

Ugh, Shino couldn't sound "cheery" if he tried.

At Shino's statement, Ino commences crying harder, and louder. Much, much louder.

"Hey, who's that, Uncle?"

Uncle?

"No one, kid," Asuma's voice replies. But the child, a boy I think, is insistant.

"I heard something," he shouts, sounding as though he's begun to run.

"Kid, get back here!"

A familiar face suddenly appears out of the rain, hands clenched at his sides.

"Konohamaru!" I cry. His eyes widen at the sight of us, slowly being drowned by chakra-infused water.

I don't know Konohamaru personally, but I know he's the grandson of Third Hokage.

And nephew of Asuma.

Oh great. That was their plan all along, wasn't it?

"What a drag," Shikamaru says, telling me he's figured out the plan as well. "Run, Konohamaru," I urge quietly, jerking my head towards the empty streets. "Get the hell out of here! Before Asuma comes back!"