Secrets and Lies

Sunlight streaming through a large window burns my still-closed eyes. Groaning, I swipe the soft pillow I'm resting on and pull it over my head, blocking out the light.

"Oh no you don't."

Someone snatches the pillow from me, and I claw at it feebly to try and get it back. Sighing, I realize it's no use and open my eyes.

And I glare at Shikamaru's grinning face.

"Waz goin' on?" I slur, my voice thick from sleep. He rolls his eyes. "Nothing really," he says. "Except that you missed every preliminary match but your own."

I make a rude gesture with my hand and grab the pillow from him, pulling it over my head and flopping back down on the bed. "You made me get up for that?" I mutter irritably.

I'm no fun when I've just woken up. Just ask Masaki.

"Well, I've actually been trying to wake you up for the past week."

Week?

What's he talking about?

I throw the pillow to the foot of my bed... only to realize it's not my bed. It's a white, clean bed that I've only seen in one place in Konoha. The hospital.

"How long was I out?" I ask, exasperated. Shikamaru shrugs. "Bout a week," he says. "You passed out during Sasuke's match and you've been out ever since. Scared the hell out of all of us."

"AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

Shikamaru throws his hands over his ears, one eye scrunched closed. He glares at me with his other eye. "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SCREAMING?" he shouts.

"I'VE BEEN OUT COLD FOR A WEEK!"

"YEAH! SO?"

"I'M IN THE FINAL ROUND OF THE EXAMS! WHEN IS IT?!"

"IN THREE WEEKS!!"

"Oh."

Sighing, Shikamaru drops his hands, crossing his arms over his chest. I've noticed a lot of the guys in the Village do this. I do it too. I can't help it; it's like a natural reflex when I'm annoyed.

"You're insane. Have I ever told you that?"

"It might have come up recently."

"I should say it more often."

"Eh, if you think it'll do any good."

"...It won't, will it?"

"Not a bit."

He runs a hand down his face, muttering, "What a drag!" I smile at him. "Sorry, Shikamaru. I just got worried."

He closes his eyes briefly. When he opens them, he manages a smile back at me. "Team Eight has not been good for you, has it?" I shrug. "Depends on you point of view, I guess. Personally, I think my team is the best thing that's ever happened to me. You know, besides being friends with you," I add hastily, seeing the inevitable eyeroll starting to happen. He grins. "Flattery will get you nowhere, my friend."

"Anyway, who else made it into the final round?"

"Well, me, you, that Gaara kid, both his teammates, Dosu, who's one of the Sound Village Ninja, Naruto, Sasuke, Shino, and Neji Hyuga."

I blanch.

"Neji!" I exclaim, quickly clamping a hand over my mouth when I see Shikamaru's annoyed expression. "Wait, what happened to Kiba and Hinata?"

"Kiba lost to Naruto in a huge upset, and Hinata..." He sighs. "She was beaten to a pulp by her cousin Neji. I think she's still in the hospital--"