Chapter Forty-One: There's No Place Like Home

Start from the beginning

Bella and I followed my sister downstairs at a more sedate pace, arriving in the living room where nearly all of the family had gathered for formal goodbyes, despite the fact that Bella was in our home nearly every day even when she wasn't ill.

Esme was going to miss Bella especially. She had implored me last night while Bella slept to try to talk her into staying longer, but Bella remained adamant this morning about returning home to Charlie. Esme couldn't argue with such a dutiful daughter, but she also couldn't resist packing a bag of special treats for Bella: healthy fruit, herbal teas, whole grain crackers, exotic cheeses—all of which Bella attempted to refuse...to no avail. My mother could be extremely persuasive.

Carlisle insisted on one last quick check-up before allowing Bella to leave. Reluctantly she followed him upstairs to his office, telling me sternly to remain downstairs. She returned with my father ten minutes later with a clean bill of health—about which Carlisle had mixed feelings. While he rejoiced at Bella's recovery from the illness that so nearly took her away from us forever, he also wouldn't have minded a minor excuse that would have kept Bella with us for a few days longer.

Both my parents were smitten with her.

After giving her thanks for their care of her, Bella hugged Carlisle, Esme, and Emmett goodbye after a little good-natured teasing from my bear of a brother; Bella's blush was rampant by the time Esme called him to order. Rosalie was nowhere to be found—hiding in her room again to avoid Bella, of course—and Jasper gave Bella a cautious wave from an armchair in the corner of the living room where he was reading from a huge history book. Alice bounced inside, giving Bella one last hug and gentle squeeze, declaring that she would descend upon the Swan household tomorrow to check on her.

Bella was unusually silent as I drove her home in my Volvo. I reached over, caressing her warm cheek with my index finger, noting how well her face had filled out again during her stay with us; she had nearly regained the weight she lost during her illness. With a wistful expression, she leaned closer to me as I continued the soothing motion.

Softly I asked, “Is something wrong, love? You're very quiet.”

Bella turned toward me, her beautiful eyes thoughtful. “You know, I've never been part of a large family, and I'm not used to being surrounded by so many brothers and sisters. Plus having Esme and Carlisle there, too—living with a complete family. It was nice.”

“We all loved having you stay with us,“ I assured her. “We look on you as one of us now, whether you like it or not. Esme was hatching plans to keep you permanently, you know,” I gently teased, and was delighted by the warm smile lighting Bella's pale features.

Then she looked down at her lap, twisting her fingers together nervously as she whispered, “Not 'all,' Edward. Not everyone was happy I spent so much time with your family.”

“Rosalie will come around,” I huffed, more than a little miffed that my stubborn sister was causing Bella discomfort.

“You say that a lot, Edward. But when will she 'come around'?” Bella sighed, then looked out the window as we crossed the bridge over the river.

“Well,” I hedged, “Rosalie will be Rosalie. She's tenacious,” I laughed humorlessly, then added, “which is a nice way of saying that she's unbelievably stubborn.”

Bella turned to look at me again, her eyes sad. “But why doesn't she like me? What did I do to make her hate me so much that she can barely stand being in the same room with me?”

“It's not you, love. It's...well, it's me.”

Bella shot me a look of extreme annoyance. “Yeah, right. 'It's not you; it's me.' Original, Edward.” She folded her arms over her chest and stared out the window again, depriving me of any opportunity to read her expression.