Chapter two.

I sat down at my table in the Biology classroom and went through the usual process of setting my books and pencil on the table then waited for class to start. Biology was my favourite subject and I was always looking forward to it.

The rest of the students came into the room and soon, the noise level had increased dramatically. I turned on my music again and started doodling in my notebook. I noticed Luke as he walked into the room. He was the only one out of the ‘popular’ group that was in this class. When he saw me looking at him, he shot me a smirk and then sat down at his seat, joining in on a conversation with some other students.

After the bell rang and the teacher came into the classroom, the period passed by a lot quicker than Calculus had. Before we were dismissed though, I was shocked when the teacher had one more thing to say.

“Lyndsey and Luke,” he said, “would you mind staying for minute after the bell?”

I glanced at Luke quickly and then to the teacher. I nodded slowly. “Sure.”

 “Fine,” Luke replied.

The dismissal bell rang and everyone left the classroom, except for Luke and I. We both went to the teacher’s desk and stood there, impatiently, in Luke’s case, and waited for him to tell us what this was about.

“I was looking at your test results,” Mr. Reynolds began, “Well done, Lyndsey on getting 100%.”

I blushed slightly at that and looked down. I could feel Luke’s angry eyes burning into the back of my head.

“But,” he continued, “Luke, your result was less than acceptable. I know you can do better than that.

Luke shrugged. “I doubt it.”

Mr. Reynolds shook his head. “I know you can. And I would like for you and Lyndsey to get together so she can help you.”

Luke just stared at the teacher for a moment. I had to suppress a laugh. I was supposed to tutor this kid in Biology? I looked in the opposite direction so that they didn’t notice how badly I wanted to laugh.            

 “I’m doing fine, Mr. Reynolds. I don’t need help,” Luke said through gritted teeth.

“You’re work ethics and overall understanding of this subject don’t seem fine, Mr. Brooks. She will just go over everything with you and make sure that you understand. It will only be until I see some changes in your grades.”

Luke opened his mouth and looked like he had something else to say, but seemed to think better of it and closed his mouth again.

Mr. Reynolds looked from me to Luke. “Well, if there aren’t any other concerns, and if you are up to it, Lyndsey, I would like for you to meet with each other every day after school and twice a week at lunch. After school, you only need to meet for half an hour to an hour just to go over everything we had learned in class that day. With this extra help, Luke, you should be top of the class within weeks.”

Luke grumbled something inaudible and looked out the window.

I smiled at Mr. Reynolds. “Alright, sounds fine to me.”

He returned the smile. “Thank you, Lyndsey.” He glanced to Luke and then said in a lower tone. “And good luck.”

 I laughed and Luke’s head snapped to the right to glare at the two of us. He shook his head in frustration before walking swiftly for the door. I smirked and had to run to catch up to him. Jogging beside him to keep up with his pace, I looked at him questioningly.

“So, whose house do you want to meet at after school today?” I asked.

His eyes glanced down at me for a second before looking ahead again. “Neither.”

My eyes narrowed. “But-”

“Look,” he said, stopping suddenly, causing me to almost trip over my own feet as I came to a halt next to him. “I don’t need help in Biology. Especially from you.You can just continue to your next class and forget this even happened. We aren’t meeting every day after school and I am not giving up my lunch hour to spend it with you talking about plants. Get it?”

I had to mentally stop myself from having my jaw drop open. Was he being serious?

A blinked a few times, thinking about what he just said. Shaking my head, I took a piece of paper from my book bag and quickly scribbled down my address on it, Luke watching me with an impatient frown.

“What are you-“ he began, but I shoved the paper towards him. Looking a little confused, he took it from me and read what was on it.

“If you change your mind,” I said, zipping my backpack closed, “You can find me there after school whenever you want.”

His chocolate brown eyes found my emerald ones. I watched his expression for a moment before turning around and walking down the hallway towards the English classroom. I could feel his eyes watching me and I didn’t feel them look away until I rounded a corner and was out of sight.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Please let me know what you guys think of this story before I continue it. Thank you for reading xx