Chapter 5 Christmas Day

"I don't understand what went wrong" a puzzled Clara wondered out loud. "I followed the instructions to the letter, yet the outside of the turkey is overcooked while the inside is a bit raw. I think your TARDIS is trying to sabotage my cooking again."
"No wonder sexy doesn't like you if you keep blaming her for everything. Let's face it, cooking isn't, um, one of your strong points, I can't blame her for trying to hide the kitchen from you."
"You're walking on thin ice chin boy, talking like that to someone with a gravy bowl in her hand! Which will be poured over your head very soon."
"I hasten to add that you have many compensating good points, indeed you are wonderful and perfect in every other aspect, far too wonderful and perfect to waste such nice gravy. And this coat is dry clean only."
"Keep going Doctor" replied Clara with a smile. "Oh, by the way, I'm looking forward to trying your stuffing, with its secret recipe. It'll make a change from the usual boring old sage and onion."
"Ah yes, I have this great recipe, full of amazing ingredients. Breadcrumbs obviously, then exotic herbs from Akhaten, the unique nuts from the Respiro Belt, famous spices only found on the Paralugian Islands and finished off with a generous splash of 100 years old Cognac from Napoleon's private cellar. Unfortunately, the TARDIS store cupboards didn't have any of these ingredients, and the local supermarket had none either, well apart from the breadcrumbs. So I bought a packet of, um sage and onion. Sorry."
"I thought it smelt a bit familiar. Ah well, at least we've got plenty of sprouts. They kept going missing, so I asked the TARDIS if she had any ideas where they'd gone, and hey presto they all reappeared! Indeed, a lot more than I recall buying."
"Traitor!" mumbled the Doctor as he waved his fist towards the TARDIS console when Clara's back was turned. "You know how much I hate them!" The TARDIS made a sniggering noise back.
The Doctor and Clara sat down for Christmas Dinner together, both were determined to make this a happy day, to try and make the most of their remaining time together, and enjoy the moment rather than pining for the future they wouldn't have, at least for this incarnation of the Doctor.
"I wear a Christmas cracker hat now. Christmas cracker hats are cool!" the Doctor exclaimed.
"Agreed chin boy! That's one hat that definitely suits you."
As the meal went on though, the Doctor started flagging and visibly showed signs of deterioration. He played with his pudding – Christmas pudding had always been his favourite part of the meal – and slowly lost his usual bounce. Clara saw this, and knew the end was coming, a moment she had been trying to put out of her mind all day.
"Clara" he weakly spoke, "I don't think I can hold out for much longer. I might have to skip the coffee..."
"Oh Doctor, what a lovely day it's been. Surely you must have a solution, there must be a way of changing things, of rewriting history, a Big Friendly Button."
"I'm sorry Clara, I so wish I could go back, but there are fixed points in time which can't be changed. This body has had a good innings, I mustn't complain, and it's not as if I'll be leaving you completely. There'll be a whole new me to look forward too, someone who wears even cooler bow ties no doubt."
"But he won't be you. I've seen all the Doctors, all the various versions of you, and they've all been inspiring and wonderful in different ways, but you're the Doctor that will always be special to me. You're the Doctor I love. "
And with that Clara ran across to hold the Doctor. They held each what for felt like forever, indeed Clara and the Doctor wished it was forever, but both knew that this Doctor, her Doctor only had moments left.
"Clara I'm afraid the moment has come, you need to get back for your own safety."
Clara reluctantly let go of the Doctor, and retreated a few paces.
"Goodbye Doctor... and good luck" she whimpered, tears streaming down her cheeks.
"Goodbye, my beautiful impossible girl. Geronimo..."
And with that his body starting glowing orange, a burst of energy exploded from his body, and amid screams a new Doctor emerged, then slumped on the floor from the physical exertion. A very different looking Doctor, gone were the boyish features, instead this Doctor was older looking, more mature. Clara looked on, trying to comprehend what had happened. She, of all the Doctor's companions, was well aware of what the process meant, but this didn't mean that she would easily be able to take it in, when the Doctor, her Doctor changed into a stranger.
Regaining her composure, she decided that she needed to be strong, and push aside her sense of loss and longing. But it was hard, so hard, trying to hide her heartbreak, and appear composed outside, when inside she was dying.
"Doctor, are you alright."
"I think so, how do I look?"
"Older than before, grey haired, quite, um distinguished really."
"That'll take some getting used to. I take it that everything is where it should be, as you haven't run off screaming. It's always a worry that the process might go wrong."
"Everything looks to be correct."
"It's Clara isn't it? I guess that you're my companion."
Clara nodded.
"Well hello. I guess it must be a shock for you, as it's certainly somewhat disorientating for me! It always takes a while for everything to work properly, for the memories to all come back, so forgive me if I don't remember everything that happened in the recent past."
"That's ok Doctor, I'm here for you, to help you with whatever assistance you require."
"Thank you."
The Doctor looked around the TARDIS.
"I notice a turkey on the table, is it Christmas Day?"
"Yes, we've just had Christmas Dinner, it was your final, I mean your predecessor's, final meal" replied Clara, desperately trying to fight back the tears.
"Oh that's nice, but a rotten day to regenerate. Hmm, that turkey looks a bit underdone, someone could get Salmonella from eating that. Oh Lord, please tell me I didn't regenerate from food poisoning!"
"I am happy to confirm that wasn't the case" replied Clara regaining her composure. "You died from Garalutian poison, saving a boy's life."
"Well that's a relief, it's always good to know I didn't go out in vain. Was it just us having Christmas Dinner together?"
Clara nodded.
"Hmm, how very domestic, just like a married couple!" the Doctor laughed.
Clara felt the tears coming back.
"Plenty of food left over I see, I'm feeling quite peckish. I'll skip the undercooked turkey; two regenerations in one day would be a bit much I think you'll agree! Lots of those green vegetables though, Brussels sprouts they're called aren't they?"
"Yes, you can't stand them, you said that they're the worse food stuff in the whole universe, and even worse than Trigatorian jumping worms."
"Well there's plenty left over, so a shame for them to go to waste. Let me try one. Mmmm, lovely, they'll fill the gap very nicely. You see Clara, a lot changes when I regenerate, it's not just the physical appearance, much of my personality changes as well. That's what makes the process so simultaneously exciting, and nerve-wracking, as I never know what I'll be like afterwards. I can emerge with completely different tastes and preferences."
"I understand" Clara softly replied." Maybe you'll want some time by yourself now, or someone new to travel with."
"Clara, I may not be the Doctor you knew, but deep down I'm still the same. I cannot recall the exact details of our relationship, but know that you're deeply important to me, someone I completely trust and respect. Once my body has settled down, I'll be itching to go and explore again, and would love you to come with me. What do you say?"
"Doctor, of course I'd love to travel with you" replied a smiling Clara. Her Doctor was gone, but this Doctor was someone she still wanted to travel and spend time with, even if things would never be the same as before.
The Doctor held out his hand, and they shook hands.
"Excellent Clara. But you can do the washing up first, I need a lie down!"