Chapter 4

Runningpaw stayed low to the ground as she crawled with impressive silence toward a mouse that was scuffling under a leaf. Her and her littermates were doing their first hunting assessment.
She darted forward and trapped the mouse under her golden paw. She killed the mouse with a swift bite to the neck. Runningpaw jumped as the bush next to her rustled. Goldenpaw's head popped out of the ferns.
"Hi Runningpaw! Sorry I was chasing a squirrel. Have you seen it?" Her sister asked looking around excitedly.
"No." Runningpaw answered awkwardly. Didn't she know they were being watched by their mentors?
"Ok. Sorry. See ya Runningpaw!" She called as she back up and disappeared into the undergrowth. Runningpaw picked up her mouse and retraced her steps to where she had hid her vole and other mouse.
Snowstrike, Rednose, Ivyheart, Volepaw, Runningpaw, and Goldenpaw pushed their way through the thorn tunnel entrance and into camp. The littermates deposited their prey on the fresh-kill pile.
Runningpaw went over to high ledge and laid down to rest. She watched as Volepaw shyly walked over to Spottedpaw, who was eating a black bird by the apprentice den. Runningpaw curled up her tail in amusement.
Her brother liked Spottedpaw! She scooted closer so she could eavesdrop on the conversation.
"...Wondering if you wanted to go hunting with me." He said to her. Runningpaw guessed he was asking if she would hunt with him Spottedpaw purred.
"Sure. I'll go hunting with you. Let me finish this black bird first." Volepaws face immediately lit up.
"Ok." He said happily. He sat down next to her and waited as she finished.
"Alright. Lets go." Spottedpaw said as she got up. They headed through the thorn barrier finished.
"DID YOU SEE THAT?" A very excited voice said next to Runningpaw, making her jump. She turned to see Goldenpaw.
"Oh, sorry I don't know why I said it so loud." Goldenpaw apologized. Runningpaw purred to her sister.
"Its fine. Just startled me is all."
"But yeah, I did see that." Runningpaw purred. Goldenpaw was glowing with energy and giddiness as the sun washed over her pelt, making her fur light up.
"I wanted to talk to you abo-"
"All cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather here beneath the high ledge for a clan meeting!" Greystars voiced yowled over Goldenpaws.
"I'll tell you later." The gold she-cat said as she headed over to the high ledge, her spirits still high even though she was interrupted by Greystar. She sat next to Tigertooth and started talking with him. He gave her ear a lick and they returned their attention to their leader.
Runningpaw sat down next to Snowpaw, the medicine cat apprentice.
"Hi Snowpaw." Runningpaw said to the white she-cat.
"Hi Runningpaw." She answered back politely, not taking her attention off of Greystar as he stood on high ledge with Foxfoot next to him. There were three other cats with him too. Two dark brown toms, one with green eyes and one with blue eyes.
They seemed to have a female apprentice with them, according to her size compared to the other two. She was black and white with amber eyes. They smelled of Windclan.
"I was told through Dustfeather and Flamepelt that Rabbitstar wants the clans to know that an elder named Leaffern has ran away from Windclan. He said he wanted to tell all the clans about her disappearance so they knew." Dustfeather stepped up next to Greystar.
"He told me he will be talking of it more at the next gathering." He prompted. Runningpaw heard Darklight mumble behind her;
"Why is that any of our concern? Why are they here? She is just an elder. Maybe she wanted to leave her clan and go die on her own." He said lowly to Snowstrike. Snowstrike licked his ear.
"Even so, now we know not to attack her if we see her on Thunderclan territory. She is just an elder after all. She is bound to be confused." Snowstrike reasoned. Darklight nodded and looked back to Greystar.
"Also, we have a report of snakes in the area. Foxfoot, if you wish to inform them yourself." Greystar said as he looked to his deputy. Dustfeather and Flamepelt and the apprentice with them took interest in the snake report.
"Thank you Greystar." He said and dipped his head as he walked forward to address the clan.
"I was patrolling with Snowstrike, Ivyheart, Featherwind, and Volepaw along the Shadowclan border. There were many spread around the area, snake burrows. Knowing that greenleaf is just starting, they would be coming out soon to hunt more frequently." Foxfoot said, and paused.
"I request that we lower the amount of patrols we send to the Shadowclan border to lower the risk of someone getting bit." Foxfoot said and glanced at Greystar for his choice.