Chapter 26

Runningwish watched her leave in silence.

"Can you really see cats deaths?" Voleeye asked after a while. Runningwish flinched at the question, like a kit had bit her tail.

"I have only seen two deaths..." Runningwish said. Voleeye watched her as her pelt prickled uncomfortably.

"One of them was Foxfoot's." Runningwish blurted.

"You knew he would get bitten by a snake?! Why didn't you try to stop it from happening?!" Voleeye demanded, trying to not to over react.

"I didn't know when he was going to die!" Runningwish wailed, crouching low to the ground with her ears pinned down in fear and guilt.

"Please don't tell the clan! They will blame me and make me leave- or worse, kill me." Runningwish begged. Voleeye stared down at her for a moment, his amber eyes blank.

"I wont tell, but she said you could see futures and learn to control your... powers." Voleeye suggested. Runningwish took a few breaths to calm herself. She could trust her brother.

"What about you? I didn't know you could see through the forest." Runningwish said. Voleeye flicked his tail.

"I thought everyone could. If I am the only cat who can see like this, then that explains why no body was aware of the patrol, and why you didn't see that snake..." Voleeye mumbled. Runningwish nudged him.

"We need to get back to camp before they come looking for us, it is already late." Runningwish said. Voleeye nodded and they started head back.