We Meet Again

This is my new Legend (by Marie Lu) fanfic story! I will post a new chapter at least every Saturday. If I get over excited I will post more than one a week! ;) These take place after Champion. The chapters will be short. I've already written quite a few chapters (and major life events for the characters!) Since this chapter is extra short I will post another soon. Hope you enjoy! This one starts out with a lengthy quote from Champion. 

-=+=-

"'I do remember,' he finally says. I search his eyes for that same aching sadness, the torment and anguish that had always been there whenever we were together. But I can no longer see it. Instead, I find something else... I see a healed wound, a permanent scar that has nevertheless closed, something from a champed of his life that he has finally, after all these years, made peace with. I see... Can it be possible? Can this be true? 

I see pieces of memories in his eyes. Pieces of us. They are broken, and scattered, but they are there, gradually coming together again at the sight of me. They are there.

'It's you,' he whispers. There is wonder in his voice.

'Is it?' I whisper back, my voice trembling with all the emotions I've kept hidden for so long.

Day is so close, and his eyes are so bright. 'I hope,' he replies softly, 'to get to know you again. If you are open to it. There is a fog around you that I would like to clear away.'

His scars will never fade. I am certain of that much. But perhaps... perhaps... With time, with age, we can be friends again. We can heal. Perhaps we can return to that same place we once stood, when we were both young and innocent. Perhaps we really can meet like other people do, on some street one balmy evening, where we each catch the other's eye and stop to introduce ourselves. Echoes of Day's old wish come back to me now, emerging front he mist of our early days.

Perhaps there is such a thing as fate.

Still I wait, too unsure of myself to answer. I cannot take the first step. I shouldn't. That step belongs to him.

For a moment, I think it won't happen. 

Then Day reaches out and touches my hand with his. He encloses it in a handshake. And just like that, I am linked with him again, I feel the pulse of our bond and history and love through our hands, like a wave of magic, the return of a long lost friend. Of something meant to be. The feeling brings tears to my eyes. Perhaps we can take a step forward together.

'Hi,' he says. 'I'm Daniel.'

'Hi,' I reply. 'I'm June.'" (Champion, Marie Lu, pages 368-369)

____________________________________________________________________________________

After Champion (my version)

Narrator: June Iparis   

We finish shaking hands and actually make small talk for a while. It feels so odd, small talk with Day- Daniel. Should I call him that now? I don't even know. We both decide to meet Tess and Pascao for dinner tonight. I tell Day I need to go back to my apartment to change my clothes and get my stuff. We exchange comfortable, if formal, goodbyes and I head in the other direction. 

As I walk away, I can feel him watching me but I don't turn around. I'm so caught up in my own thought that I'm not paying any attention when I cross the road. "June!" I hear someone- Day -shout from behind me. The sound of light but strong, flying footsteps follows. I turn around and my dark eyes widen at the sight of the most beautiful boy- man -running towards me. Just as he shoves me out of the way, bright light floods the area. Headlights. A strangled sound escapes my throat as a military jeep rams directly into Day.

-=+=-

For a car crash, fortunately it only tapped him... As I reach Day, sensibility flees to the farthest corners of my mind. Suddenly I am devoid of logic. Replacing it is love. Illogical, blinding, burning, beautiful love. Suddenly I'm screaming and distraught. I've returned to the primal pieces of humanity. Something I care about, something I need, has been hurt. I respond in the way instinct orders, with panic. Who am I? June Iparis does not panic. June Iparis does not weep.

-=+=-

Eden has to be the one that dials 911. I'm in such a panicked state that I practically need an ambulance myself.

-=+=-

I wring my hands and rub my paper clip ring. I watch Day. The doctor said he should wake up any minute. Day ended up having to have his spleen removed. That was the only major problem and it has been taken care of. The rest, just bumps and bruises, will heal in time. Tess, Pascao, and even Eden are in the waiting room. I don't know what I'm planning to do when he wakes up. Day will still only barely know me. Why did he even save me?

Day's eyelids slowly raise and the brightest, bluest eyes appear before me. Suddenly, I flash back, see them again as the dust cleared when I took Day's hand for the first time.

Snapping back to the present, I notice that imperfect (yet somehow perfect) ripple in Day's left eye.

"June..." He croaks, swallowing,

"I remember everything."

-=+=-

Hey! Sorry this was so short. Follow up coming very soon (within a few days)!! <3 Comment your thoughts.