Chapter One (Zane)

Start from the beginning

    “Eve is strong, we all know that,” Kai responded with a bit of a small chuckle. “Too stubborn.”

    Zane chuckled and then tensed slightly as he heard a scream from above. A feminine scream that sounded more in pain than anything else. Immediately a low rumble of a growl escaped his throat and turned to the bouncer that stood there. “Go see what’s going on,” he commanded, his voice a low quiet whiplash.

    The bouncer bowed at the waist, pressing his hands together, and then turning around to do as he had been ordered to do.

   Zane watched as the bouncer walked away and his dark gaze moved over to his best friend and possible brother-in-law. Kai and Eve were mates but hadn’t mated or even connected. Kai was the one who refused to enter a relationship with Eve. He felt that she wasn’t mature enough for him. She was the youngest female dragon shifter for miles around, while Kai had been around for centuries. He was Zane’s best friend and he was older than him as well. Kai was royalty amongst their kind.

   Kai and Eve were at odds with each other.

Eve was pregnant with another dragon shifter’s child.

“Do you think the ceremony has affected her and her child?” Kai asked almost dispassionately.

Zane shrugged his shoulders. Eve would come out of the ceremony unharmed they all had. Every last single dragon shifter around had to go through the ceremony. For some it was embarrassing while to others it was an honorable thing to be undertaken in front of everyone. Only once in a half of a millennium had a dragon rejected being a part of the duo of dragon and man/woman. Dragons chose who they wanted to bond with from birth. They had their own laws and beliefs in their realm. None of them were quite sure of how dragons chose which humans to merge with and watch from birth, but they did.

Eve was a dragon shifter, though technically she couldn’t shift yet. The ceremony above was her merging as one with her dragon.

Zane had undergone that same ceremony over almost a millennium ago. It was nights like these and watching others undergo the ceremony that made him feel ancient.

“She’ll be fine. Her and the child,” he responded to Kai. He chuckled inwardly watching Kai trying to behave as normal on the surface. He knew the truth Kai was worried about his mate, but didn’t want anyone else to know that he was.

For a moment both men were silent as they studied the room their backs against the wall near the entry. They were relaxed but on guard so that no one would dare to attempt to interrupt the proceedings above. The crowded floor was going through a serious change of moods. Where they had been dancing before and drinking, they were now grinding against each other, kissing and some blatantly making out. Zane found this to be incredulous. He had always felt that sexual acts were something that should kept private and out of view of the public.

As he watched the intensity of the mood and hands caressing, he saw a familiar figure. Clad in a black leather jacket, black jeans that were slightly baggy, a black t-shirt, and black boots, headed trouble. Trouble in the form of god-like beauty that had the female humans around them pausing to watch his progression through the crowd. The man walked with the grace of a panther, and the hypnotic flow of a snake as it uncoiled itself and lifted up to one before it struck a lethal injection into the system. His pale white blonde hair, ice cold blue eyes, and strong features were easily mistaken as angelic and as deceiving as any snake in the Garden of Eden.

The very same beauty and grace that hypnotized and entranced Eve.

Adam Lovenski in the flesh. Also known as the leader of a great deal of the Blue Dragons, which was one of the four main dragon septs in the world. The other three consisted of the red dragons, silver dragons, and green dragons.