Chapter 11 - The Briefing

Start from the beginning

He walked along the narrow carpeted hall of the hotel, across many other quarters, went down through the elevator that gave a full view of the outdoors as it traversed through the Australian terrain, then out into the third floor—the recreational area of the ship.

He had never seen a more beautiful structure than this airship: The sparkling walls and floors, the beautiful bay view outside made possible by transparent glass walls, the vintage style interiors coupled with contemporary designs, were all a lot to take in. Now he understood why the ship has been deemed a phenomenon. However as to what the convention is really all about, he is clueless.

He stepped out onto a wide expanse of what appeared like a mini-town. The ship is already abuzzed with activity even in the early hours. Well from what he heard ship's activities starts early and it never sleeps. Day in, day out the establishments are always operating.

Mini-buildings lined up the city-like streets: from restaurants, shops, to bars. And a lush, green outdoor-like park occupied a good part of the mini-city that afforded a good view of the exteriors through the wide translucent walls.

Young men and women were everywhere, up and about, marveling just like him.

His phone rang. He heard Phil's voice on the other line.

"Alec, I have located her quarters. Meet me at the West Wing lobby. We need to pay her a visit now."

A few minutes later he caught up with Phil.

"Got it, Lieutenant. We must be careful with everything we do. Got it," Alec heaved with rolling eyes, finishing off Phil's repetitive lecture to him as they strode along the carpeted floors of the West Wing lobby that is now deserted with everyone flocking into the recreational and exhibit areas.

They have to act now. They have to retrieve Ava Kinski before the airship leaves the territorial boundaries of Australia where they have a recon waiting--- and that's in less than two days.

"So we knock on her door and say...what, 'Hello, Miss Ava Kinski'?"

"She is not using that name," Phil said as a matter of fact.

Alec raised both his eyebrows. "Why is that? And how is that? You haven't told me the whole story about this Kinski girl yet,"

Phil halted his steps and beckoned Alec to sit in one of the benches on the hallway.

"Ava Kinski grew up in Sybil," Phil began.

Alec was visibly astonished to hear that. "What? She grew up in ---- just what do you mean 'grew up' there? You mean literally?"

"She was raised there; lived a secluded life within the parameters of the base..."

Alec waited for more.

"She came with her father when she was four years old. She lived within the confines of Kinski's manor in Sybil,"

Phil went on. "Seven years ago, at the age of 13, she finally left the base, to live a normal life, as they say. She was to vanish without a trace. She got herself a new identity that not even WDF officials know or should know about. It was agreed - she was going to have a new life---a life cut off from the WDF. Her new identity was to ensure her safety, y'know, being the daughter of an important man."

"Yeah well it makes sense. It isn't quite safe for her to be out there roaming around by herself as Kinski's daughter," Alec concurred.

"The System granted her that privilege. She was given sophisticated means & assistance to change identity, which of course, is one of the powers of the System. You know, she's the daughter of the foremost scientist. Her father is one of the most powerful men on Earth. The system will bow down to his every whims and caprices. And he doesn't even hold office!"