C H A P T E R 15

DILIGENTLY, I marched through the underwater tunnel, from the train. The walk seemed to take forever, and the tunnel everlasting. Picking up the pace, I began to run, sprinting down the passageway, until I could see a light. I ran, forward to the light, but fell back, hard on my head, with a shock jolting though my entire body. I sat back up, holding my throbbing head. I stood up and peered inside the bright light of the elevator through the empty doorway. I outstretched my hand though it and the shock pushed its way through my fingertips, back to my head, nearly electrocuting me. Holding my, sore hand, I looked down to notice a keypad. What do I do? I asked myself. If only I could give myself an answer. I put my hand to the scanner, under the keypad, and it buzzed loudly, sending another shock of electricity though me. Before I could fully think it through, I shot at it, and the keypad exploded. I took a risk, and stepped through the doorway. I expected to be fried with impulses of energy, but walked through easily. Trusting my instincts, I pressed the button labeled two, for anything valuable enough to be hidden, wouldn't be secure on the main. As soon as my finger pressed against the glowing button, the elevator shot up at an astonishing speed, and halted before I could finish a single thought. The doors slid open, and so did a set of two wooden doors following. 

They revealed the scene of a vast library, full of books as for as the eye could see, and ladders to reach the ones two high for even a giant to reach. I remembered my mission, and ran to the other side of the room, and slipped out the door, keeping my back to the wall. I looked both ways. On my left I noticed a camera squinting at me. I remembered the president's warning, "She has eyes everywhere". I took a breath, and aimed the rifle at the camera and pulled the trigger. It let out a silent shot, and the camera fell to the floor with a thud. I kept walking, trying my hardest to not make a sound, and to stay out of sight. I spotted several of Beatrice's soldiers, whose faces remained emotionless, and all marched identically down the hallways. One came into saw a women, dressed in a white power suit, typing away in her office, and immediately shot her. Silently, she died, and I my chest got tight. I took a long breath, and tried my best not to react. I continued stalking down the walkway, trying not to let it get to me, but it did. I swallowed hard, and crept around the corner. I spotted Jack slowly walking in plain sight. Worried I ran to her, and grabbed her sleeve, pulling her into a broad doorway, and forcing the locked door open. "Jack" I whispered once we were inside the unknown room. "Elizabeth has soldiers stationed everywhere, in disguise, with a command to kill any Special they see" I spoke softly. "What? How?" Jack asked, louder than she should have. I pressed my palm against her mouth, and answered, "Elizabeth believes that Beatrice's plan is an official Renegade mission. There's no time to tell you how I know. We have to warn the others!"

"I don't think you will be able to do that" I heard a voice say from the other side of the room. I heard Jack scream behind me, but her shriek was cut off and I felt Jack's grip on my hand disappear. I turned around instantly, but she was nowhere to be seen. I jerked my body away from the door, and turned to see the silhouette of a woman sitting behind a large desk. "On" the loudly commanded and the lights instantaneously snapped on, illuminating a spacious oval room. The woman's clothes and features appeared behind the desk, with her hands clasped over the desktop. She had a wrinkle-free face, with long dark blonde hair, and appeared much younger than I knew she was. I immediately recognized her from all of her interviews and news appearances. "Elizabeth Savage" I murmured. "It is nice to meet you too" she said and flashed a smile. "Come, sit down" she ordered. Sit down. Sit down, her voice repeated in my head. With one look into her dark, slanted eyes, I obeyed and sat in one of the armchairs in front of the desk. As soon as I did so, I felt two cuffs jump over my wrists, but saw nothing. I tried to move my hands, to force them off, but felt an immediate shock course through my arms. "I don't recommend you try and move", Elizabeth said, laughing. "How did you know?" I asked.