C H A P T E R 10

MOM,

It's been about a month since I arrived here. I'm still not entirely sure what is to come of this, but I know that I must try my hardest. Jack is okay. She was only mildly injured by the glass shards. She has been placed in solitary confinement to train alone to better control her powers since the incident. As for Max, the man wounded in the incident, he is healing at an impeccably fast rate, and should be as good as new in another week or two.

I haven't heard much news about the government or Elizabeth savage lately. And I hope I will soon.

As for the rankings, I need to practice more. My score is only an overall four, and I must get it to at least a six or I am gone, as good as dead. Everyday in training is the equivalent to hell for me. I'm getting a little better, but I still have so much to learn. I need to get much stronger, mentally and physically or I don't stand a chance to do anything.

I've been having a lot of headaches lately, and it's almost as if my memories of you are slipping away through my fingers. But I won't let them. I fainted twice last week. Jack usually helped me, but she's not around currently to do so. So I have to help myself. It's something I've been getting quite used to.

The other day, Director de la Cruz had me called to her office. She told me that I am unusual... special, that I'm not ordinary. She told me that soon I will be capable of greatness, and that a lot of that greatness has to do with you. She said that I'm a valuable part of her plan and that it cannot undergo without me. I do not know what that means, but I do know, that a weakling like me could not possibly properly assist her.

I hope that we can meet soon. I have been writing to you ever since I believed you were dead. I have been doing it more frequently, knowing that you're alive, hoping that maybe you might be able to read them all. I know that one day you will. I know.

Something big is coming up. I can feel it. But I know that you will be okay. I'll die alongside my comrades if it means stopping all of this madness and execution, and ultimately, saving you.

I've never had to do something so important. Honestly, I've never had to do something important at all. I've always just... drifted through life. I did what I needed to, not more, not less. I never had to depend on anyone and I never had friends to confide in. I never needed to. I never felt I needed anyone. It was like everyone else were just supporting characters while I floated through life, not enjoying it, but not hating it either. That is until you "died". The vision that I had created for myself of the world around me disappeared and I was left to face the world without a shield. I held onto my dad like he was a necessary as my own beating heart. A thirteen-year-old girl spent everyday after her mother's funeral building up a wall, brick by boring brick, to protect her, from anything else that could hurt her as much as that did. That wall began to crack when I came to the realization that specials weren't a danger and that the ignorant people who feared them were more of a danger to them. The wall finally toppled and collapsed at my feet when I found out I was one of them. Now, I'm bare in front of the world and I have to attack it head on, instead of waiting to be killed. I can't waste any more time building up a wall that's just going to block people out and topple when things get rough. I don't know how I'm supposed to save you. But you're trapped, and I need to save you. I need to spend all of that time building myself up to face the inevitable. Something big is going to happen. I feel it. And I need to be ready, whether it's to save my mom, or stand side by side with my comrades against the world. I need to become a Renegade. I will become a Renegade.

Love,

Your daughter Valerie