The three of them looked at me like I've just grown a second head. Aunt Flora started pacing back and forth, while Aunt Nora stood up and said, "Heather, we won't let you. Just let us handle the bills and everything; and then if you really want to get a job, there's always tomorrow. " She looked at me pleadingly as she added, "Just not tonight."

Aunt Flora's pace started getting fast. "It's past ten in the evening, Rose," she said, calling me by my nickname for the first time tonight. "Dangers are everywhere."

Aunt Maryweather nodded vigorously. "You could be in trouble if you —"

" — Oh and those people who sell human organs are really d —"

"— Heather we only want you to be safe and so —"

I groaned in frustration. "Fine, fine," I took a deep breath, "fine. I won't go anywhere." My head turned to the television, watching the news caster mention something about the weather.

"That's good." Aunt Nora sighed in relief, taking a seat on the sofa. "We only want to protect you, you know that right?"

"I know," I whispered.

"Well," Aunt Maryweather said, standing up as she heads to the kitchen. "You guys stay there, while I go make something to eat."

The three of us: Me, Aunt Nora, and Aunt Flora, were seated on the sofa while watching the television. They watched the show, I watched the window.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

After everyone had gone to bed, I tiptoed my way out of my room, passed by their rooms, and headed straight to the living room. I couldn't simply sneak out of my own room since it was upstairs, and I was afraid of heights, which meant that I couldn't pass through the window without screeching like a dying whale.

So this was my escape plan: Use the window in the living room.

My Aunts had decided that it would be a lot safer if they placed an alarm on the main door, so that they'd be informed immediately if ever we'd get robbed.

It was a good thing they hadn't thought about putting an alarm on the window though.

So I slowly walked my way until I reach the window. All the lights were out, and my only source of light was the light of the moon outside. Remembering that there was a flashlight in my duffel bag, I took it out to make my escape much more easier. Switching it on, I carried on with opening the window, and the cold breeze welcomed me the moment it was opened.

Breathe in, I swung my left leg out. Breathe out, and then my right leg followed.

My feet landed smoothly on the ground, making no unnecessary sound. Looking up, I saw that there were still no light coming from their rooms, so I took this as a good sign to continue my plan.

I could hear the sound of people passing by, the honking of the cars, and then the whispers of the wind. This was going to be a long night, and I just hope I didn't forget to bring the canned coffee with me.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

It was almost midnight and I  still found myself walking around the streets of New York on a cold December night, just to find a job. I was that desperate. The snow fell heavily just above me and I pulled down my beanie a bit to cover my head. If only my father didn't leave me, and if only my mother didn't leave my father, then I would've probably be worry free right now on where to get money for college. Speaking of money, I realized that I only had twenty bucks left in my pocket (and my pocket have tiny holes in it).