Chapter 27~ The End

Start from the beginning

"Hey kiddo!" My dad's voice rang through the crowd, and I turned to fold him into a hug. "Congratulations!"

"Thank you. Mom couldn't come I assume?" I asked with pursed lips, rolling my eyes when dad frowned in confirmation.

"She couldn't take the day off filming even though she really wanted to."

Sure she did. She probably didn't even know that I was graduating at all.

My dad checked his watch with a frown and I knew that he had to get back to Connecticut and to work, so I pulled him in for another hug and thanked him again for coming to see me before shooing him off back to work. Seeing that everybody was laughing and celebrating with their families and knowing that I had no one else to talk to, I made my way out into the courtyard and sat down on the water feature ledge, pulling the annoying tassled hat from my head and propping it next to me on the ledge.

Wasn't it weird how this time last year I'd had everything planned out; graduate in Connecticut, get into Princeton, spend my last summer with my best friends before moving on campus and beginning my life, without any contact with my mother. Now I had no idea what the future held, and it was scaring me to death.

I didn't know where I was going or what I was doing, and I had no one to try and navigate the real world with here in New York.

I mean-

"Hey, you're that Cupid lady's daughter aren't you?"

I fought the urge to groan as I closed my eyes and let my head fall back. Not again.

I'd intentionally dodged any and all conversation about my mother or anything to do with her, for this exact reason. Once people knew me as Cupid's daughter, all they wanted was to meet my mom or get an autograph. No thank you.

"Look," I said through tight lips to the stranger, still not turning around, "my mother's not here so please leave me be."

The person didn't respond, but I felt a presence beside me a moment later and forced my eyes open in frustration. "Would you-"
The chocolate eyes that stared back at me took my breath away, and the end of my sentence was never to be heard.

Noah smirked, his white teeth sparkling in a way that was so beautiful I wanted to cry. "Hey Little Cupid."

I stared at him.

"Hi." Was all I managed to get out.

My fingers itched to reach out and touch him, to make sure that he was truly here.

"Happy graduation." He winked, holding up a blue tassled hat that I assumed was his own. I shook my head in disbelief.

"What are you doing here?"

Noah bit his lip and stared down at his hands, seeming nervous all of a sudden. "I couldn't let you graduate without anyone to celebrate with." He rubbed his hand through his curls. "I told you I'd be supporting you from a distance, and I meant it. I'm proud of you, Issy."

I continued to stare at Noah as if he'd just grown three heads. Was this actually happening right now?

Noah's face grew worried at my lack of response, but I was still busy trying to produce a coherent response. He wiped his palms on his jeans and turned away from me, biting his lip. "I'm sorry, I should have called first. I understand if you don't want me here, I didn't mean to intrude—"

"Shut up." I whispered, my lips turning up into a smile. I vaguely noted Levi, Matilda and the gang walking out towards us in the courtyard, but I didn't pay them any attention."It's really nice to see you. I'm glad you're here."