Chapter 5~ Party Saviours

"Why do we have to go to the stupid game?" I moaned, digging my heels into the dirt to stop Sam from pulling me any further.

"You know why we have to go." She said and rolled her eyes at me, tugging my arm so hard I thought it was going to dislocate from my shoulder and land on the floor.

"No," I reasoned, "I know why you have to go to the game. Your mom didn't say anything about me." I said smugly, and Sam shot me a look that would have killed me in an instant if she had laser-vision.

"True, but I'm the one with the car, therefore wherever I go you go." Sam grinned evilly, and I stuck my bottom lip out like a child who'd just been told by a clown that there were no balloons left to make an animal out of. Sam's mom occasionally forced Sam to go to football games at school. She claimed that Sam needed more socialising with her peers and that it would do her good to show some support, given that both of her older brothers had been on the team in their high school years. Secretly I thought that her mom just wanted the house to herself for a while.

"Don't pout sweetheart." A jock I recognised as JC, Noah's best friend, cooed to me as he walked past clad in his jersey and spandex-type shorts. I raised my eyebrows in surprise and shoved my lip back where it belonged, knowing full well that that was the first thing JC had ever said to me in my entire seventeen years of living in Stratford.

Sam peered back at me in shock. "First a nod from Noah, now a 'sweetheart' from JC? Girl, did someone hit you with a flirting stick or what?"

I rolled my eyes and started to walk properly so that Sam would drop my (now very sore) arm, and we located Tommy in the middle of the bleachers, munching on popcorn and staring down onto the field at the boys warming up. "Could you be less subtle?" Sam asked as we approached him, and immediately Tommy turned bright red from his ears to his neck.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He shrugged, fanning himself with one hand. I bit back a laugh as I sat down beside him, and Sam beside me.

"Oh please," She snorted, "we all saw you checking out Michael Green's butt." Sam laughed, making Tommy turn even more red.

"I was not! Besides, Michael is straight and way out of my league. Now, Zachary on the other hand..." Tommy trailed off and raised his eyebrows in approval, making Sam and I burst into laughter.

Subconsciously I found myself searching for a familiar dark haired boy on the field, knowing that he was the QB but not knowing what that meant or where he'd be standing. I located JC easily due to his towering height, and Noah was stood beside him near the coach, talking about something that was no doubt regarding the upcoming game.

"Ugh, and so arrives the Wicked Witch of the West." Sam muttered, glancing down at her phone. Sabrina and three of her minions had sat down directly in front of us, completely blocking our view of everything. I stared as she turned to her friends, grinning from ear to ear like she'd just won the lottery.

"So Jackson asked me out yesterday." She told them eagerly, flipping a lock of dark shiny hair over her shoulder.

"But what about Noah?" A minion asked loudly, glancing longingly at the football field where our opposing school, the Troyton Tigers, were bounding out and cheering.

Sabrina sighed dramatically. "I don't know. I mean, we made a cute couple and all, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to fully let him go, but I have to try you know? Besides," she lowered her voice a little, though I could still hear her, "he's backed off a lot lately, like I wanted him to. Maybe he's maturing after all." She shrugged.

"Wait... so he still has a chance with you?" A different minion questioned unsurely. Sabrina was silent for a moment as she considered.

I saw her cheeks rise as she smiled. "We'll see. Not that I'd ever tell him that. As far as he's concerned he has no chance in hell; wouldn't want him to think he wears the pants now, would we?"