Chapter 8~ Classroom Catastrophe

I edged towards the den where Sam was sat watching the movie, making Noah stay behind me where Sam couldn't see him.

"So, uhh, Noah wanted to see you and make sure you were okay." I said conversationally, leaning back against the wall.

Sam glanced up at me and wrinkled her nose. "Who?"

"Noah. Noah Jones?"

Sam lurched up and I could tell she was about to swear, so I quickly shoved Noah into the room to stop her.

"Hey." He nodded casually, his hands shoved deep into his pockets. Sam stared at him with wide eyes wider than saucepans, unable to say anything coherent.

"We're watching Mamma Mia." I informed Noah, settling down in the couch next to Sam and gesturing for him to do the same. Sam eyed him as he sat, and my back was stick-straight as my eyes flickered between the two. Sam was openly staring at him now, completely ignoring the movie that I'd put on especially for her. I risked a glance over at Noah and found him watching the movie obliviously.

This was too weird.

"I'm gonna make some snacks. Anyone want anything?" I asked, standing up to ease the awkwardness.

Noah and Sam both shook their heads, and I waddled into the kitchen to pop some popcorn in the microwave. When I re-entered the den a few minutes later, I almost dropped the bowl in my hands.

Noah and Sam were laughing.

Together.

I narrowed my eyes suspiciously and cradled the bowl to my chest. "What's so funny?" I asked and plopped back down into my seat.

Sam wiped her eyes and sighed with humor. "Noah was telling me about the time his brothers pushed him in a lake naked." She chortled, bringing on another laugh.

I raised my eyebrows at Noah as he smirked mischievously.

"What-" I started, but then changed my mind, "actually, I don't want to know. Some things are better left unsaid." I smiled, pleased that Noah and Sam seemed to be getting along suddenly. Sam had always seemed to hate him simply because she hated Sabrina and they were always together, but now that Noah wasn't with Sabrina anymore, Sam was actually giving him the time of day.

If only she knew what I was helping him do. If she did, she wouldn't give either of us the time of day.

"So," I said conversationally, "when do I get to learn more about this mysterious Kiely?"

Sam flushed a shade of crimson and her eyes flickered to Noah embarrassedly. He looked at me questioningly, and in return I gave him a small nod.

"You don't have to tell me now." I informed Sam despite my exchange with Noah. "You can wait until we're alone."

Sam nodded but Noah cleared his throat, preparing to say something. I shot him a murderous glance, wanting him to know that if he said something wrong and screwed it all up, I would not hesitate to kill him.

"It sucks what Sabrina did today, but I think you're pretty awesome. I mean, that sounds weird cuz I don't even know you, but it was kind of... inspiring to see you be so brave." Noah admitted, and I watched him with a smile as he spoke. There was a certain gleam in his eye, and all of his cockiness seemed to evaporate. He was being completely and utterly sincere, and it was mesmerizing.

"Brave?" Sam scoffed, staring absentmindedly at the screen. "I ran off crying like a little kid throwing a tantrum. I'd hardly call that brave." She rolled her eyes.

"Yeah," Noah agreed, before taking a breath to continue. At least, I hoped he was going to continue. "But you stayed and watched the whole video; listened to every word she said and even waited for Cu- I mean Isabelle's reaction. Most people would've been outta there in five seconds flat. But you stayed. That took balls man." Noah informed her, and for a moment I couldn't tear my gaze away from him. It was so... refreshing to see him being so sweet.