Chapter 21~ The Truth

I stared at the message for what seemed like an eternity, wondering whether or not I should reply. He'd sent it two days ago, which meant that maybe he didn't need me anymore...

What does 'I need you' even mean? I need you like 'I forgot how to tie my shoelaces' or I need you like 'my whole family just got impaled by the Devil's pitchfork'?

Or, even worse, was it a 'Sabrina and I are fighting again' I need you. I threw my phone back into the shoebox hastily at the thought of calling Noah expecting a disaster only to have him ask me whether Sabrina would like pink or red roses. I'd more than held up my end of the deal considering Noah and Sabrina were back together and I would never receive my recommendation. I was so done with that.

Sabrina didn't deserve someone like Noah-someone kind and compassionate, and yes, someone who was often an asshole. Instead of calling him, I decided to stalk his and Sabrina's Facebook profiles instead, to see if I could figure out what was going on. Surprisingly, neither of them had posted anything or even been active for a few weeks, so that was a total bust.

I slammed my laptop down with frustration and flopped onto my bed, squeezing the pillow tightly in my hands. I lay there for what felt like forever, wallowing in my own misery when suddenly, I heard a noise in the apartment that sounded like a footstep, and I shot upright quickly. I reached over and grabbed the white lamp that was sat in a box next to my bed, waiting to be unpacked and crept noiselessly into the hallway. A black shadow passed over my face and I headed towards the shadow, my breath escaping raggedly through my lips as nerves shot through my body.

My heart sped up as the shadow's owner came into view- a person dressed completely in black.

"HIYAH!" I shrieked, lunging forward and smashing the lamp onto the person's back. The figure turned around the cried out in pain.

"What the fück are you doing Isabelle?!" He yelled at me, rubbing the back of his neck and grimacing.

I dropped my weapon sheepishly, my heart still racing a mile a minute. "JC? What the hell are you doing? You look like a freaking psychopath!"

JC frowned and walked over to the kitchen, clutching his back as he perched on a bar stool. "This is what I always wear." He shrugged, making me roll my eyes as I tried to regain my breath.

What was it with these boys and breaking and entering? I questioned to myself, remembering a few months ago when Noah had broken into my house in Connecticut and I'd almost punched him.

I sighed as I walked over to the freezer and pulled out a pack of frozen peas for JC's back. "What are you doing here JC?"

JC groaned and took the peas from me, his arm bending back awkwardly so he could rest them on the sore spot. He sighed and then turned to look at me, his dark eyes glinting. "We need to talk about Noah."

My heart, which was only just slowing down, started to speed up. "N-Noah?" I stuttered quietly. Why did we have to talk about Noah? JC stared at me knowingly, as if with that one stutter all of my other secrets had escaped as well. Maybe they had.

"He broke up with Sabrina." JC informed he solemnly. My stomach dropped.

"Oh?" I questioned faintly, trying to appear disinterested. I could tell that it wasn't working.

"She was cheating on him."

"Oh."My voice went flat with hatred for Sabrina. After everything he had done to get her back...

JC paused for a split second before dropping the next bombshell on me. "With his dad."

"What?!"

JC frowned sadly, his dark brows furrowing. "She used him as a cover-up, so that no one would known that she was having an affair with Charles." JC shook his head in disgust as I stood shell-shocked in my place.

My mother and father's conversation from a few days ago suddenly came back to me, and all the puzzle pieces clicked into place.

"Nathaniel?" My mom had asked curiously. "The boy who helped Charles cheat on Amara?"

My father shushed her sharply and then lowered his voice. "No, she's been with the other one- Noah. And he didn't help Charles, Courtney, you know that. He moved away to escape his father's twisted schemes. How could anyone ask of their son what he did?"

Nate knew about all of this and hadn't told Noah? Hadn't told anyone? My heart broke for Noah, who'd been spending the last few years of his life loving and pining for a girl who didn't care about him, but just his father.

I wiped my sweaty palms as tears began to form behind my eyelids. "JC?" I asked quietly, my voice breaking. "Will you take me to him?"

***

The air was completely silent as we pulled up outside my old high school, staring at the huge double doors.

"He likes to go on the field to think." JC informed me. "Chances are he'll be there."

I smiled half-heartedly and lay my hand over JC's on the stick shift. "Thank you."

JC nodded in return and I pushed open the car door, stepping out onto the gravel. My heart wouldn't stop thumping in my chest as I approached the field, and surely enough, Noah was stood in the very centre, fiddling with a football in his hands. I stood at the bottom of the bleachers and just watched him for a moment, taking in his six feet two of glory like it hadn't been less than a week since I'd last seen him. Funny how that week felt like a year.

He must have sensed my presence because a second later he turned to me, his mouth forming the shape of a little 'o'. Neither of us moved as we stared at each other, and then all of Noah's composure shattered. His expression crumpled as he buried his face in his hands, trying to hide the droplets of water that were escaping his eyes. I dropped my bag and ran over to him, not even realizing that tears were streaming down my own face as I pulled him into a hug. He responded immediately, pulling me into his body and nestling his face into my hair.

A small, low sound of pain escaped his throat, sending a pang through my chest.

How badly had Sabrina broken him?

Hey guys! I love you so much! There aren't very many chapters left now.... five at most! It's been so fun writing for you all and for myself, and I really appreciate all of you.

Meg x