Chapter 13: We are Grounders

Out of instinct, I extended my left arm, thinking that it would somehow make my blow to the ground a little less painful, but boy was I wrong. I hit the ground hard, falling right onto my arm and bad leg and rolling once before hitting the wall of the dropship. In the process, I dropped the radio, my only connection to the outside.

Grinding my teeth in pain, I held my arm and rolled onto my stomach, resting my forehead against the cold ground as I bit back tears.

"Murphy, what the hell are you doing?" Bellamy's voice was comforting to hear, especially in this situation. Even if it was only over a radio call.

I lifted my head to look up at Murphy, glaring at him as I held my stinging wrist against my chest. It wasn't broken. I knew that much. Probably just a little bruised but at the moment, it hurts like hell.

He didn't know what to do. Murphy hadn't planned this far ahead. His green eyes met mine. An emotion crossed his face that I couldn't quite place.

Was it concern? Worry? Or was it possibly fear?

Lucky for me I never had the chance to figure that out, for as quick as the foreign look appeared, it was gone as he snapped back into reality. The whole exchange hadn't lasted longer than a few seconds before Murphy was running towered the dropship door, pulling the lever that would lock me inside a metal hell hole with a teenager psychopath.

From the other side of the door, I could hear Bellamy screaming out to him before banging on the metal door as it closed.

Pacing back and forth, still unsure of what to do, Murphy ran his hand through his shaggy long hair.

"Murphy, open the door!" Bellamy demanded but Murphy did not comply.

"You try to be a hero and Ari dies!" he yelled back.

I was able to crawl to the ladder, using it to lean on as I held my arm close to my chest, keeping my eyes trained on Murphy as he frantically gathered rope and ripped seat belts from the walls. I've never hated anyone more in my entire life than I hated John Murphy, and if you knew my mother you would think I was crazy for saying that. He reached out to grab my arm but I pulled back.

"Don't touch me!" I snapped through gritted teeth.

"Ari, come on." He was stern as he grabbed my arm again, this time with more force.

He knows my life. He knows what I've been through and the reason I don't like people touching me but Murphy didn't care.

Thinking quickly, I grabbed the hand he used to hold my arm and bit it, causing him to scream in pain, while also letting go of his tight grip on me. I made a run for the door but he was faster.

Coming up from behind me, Murphy was able to grasp my shoulder and pick me up again.

"Let me go!" I yelled as he walked me over the ladder. Murphy tied my hands together with rope and made sure the knots were as tight as he could make them. "Murphy please. Let me go," I begged. "At least loosen the ropes. Please. I can't...I can't be tied too tightly."

"Shut up!" he spat, using a cloth as a gag so I would stop talking.

There was no stopping the panic now. The fear that swelled in my chest. Being grabbed and thrown and threatened sent me back to my childhood, to what I went through everyday of my life. But the restraints and gag in my mouth caused me to hyperventilate.

I couldn't breath, there was no air and the walls were closing in on me and that's how I remained for the next few hours.

Forced to sit and watch Murphy as he paced back and forth in the small space, with the body of a kid I barely knew sitting in the corner. The sun had to be down by now, it was so late. The talking from outside the dropship had died down almost completely.