Chapter 2: Earth

Hours had passed since the group left and I was still annoyed at how they treated me like a child. They left me surrounded by criminals who did god knows what in order to get locked up. I probably would have been safer with them then I was here.

The sun had set about an hour ago and I had done my fair share of exploring, making sure not to wander too far from the dropship. The hunger was starting to set in along with the exhaustion from the excitement of the day. They didn't feed us much in the SkyBox but on Earth there seemed to be no food. Leaning against a tree, I rubbed my stomach with a sigh as it growled loudly.

Listening to the sound of what I assumed to be crickets chirping and the loud yelling of teenagers by the fire that had been lit was my only source of entertainment. Rubbing my hands together I tried to generate some kind of heat as wind blew around me but despite how tightly I held my jacket to my body, I was still freezing.

Heat from the flames of the fire was sure to keep me warm but going towards the firs meant, going towards the group of teenagers. After much debate with myself, I finally worked up the courage to make my way over.

When I got there, I scanned the group of teens until I met the gaze of the guard from earlier, Bellamy Blake. Everyone cheered as he threw a girl's wristband into the fire after he pried it off.

With my arms crossed over my chest, I watched the process. Bellamy or Murphy, it didn't matter who, would pick a kid from the crowd, bring them into the center of the circle and pry off the metal wrist band that the guards put on us, then they would throw it into the fire and everyone would cheer.

It wasn't long before John Murphy was scanning the crowd, looking for his next victim, but I have no idea it would be me. When his eyes landed on mine, my heart rate instantly increased. With a smirk on his lips, he made his way over to me. "What do you say, Ariella? How about we take care of that wristband of yours?" he asked, pointing to my arm.

I've known John Murphy practically my whole life as his mother used to babysit me when I was younger before she died. The John I knew was a happy and carefree kid, but after his father died he became cold and angry and he always seemed to be up to no good.

All eyes were on me now as everyone waited for my answer but all I could hear in my head on repeat was York's voice saying, "Stay alive Ariella, I don't care how you do it but stay alive. I'll be watching."

I remember the way York said those words to me, he was almost pleading for me to stay safe. He said he would be watching, but how. The only way I could think of was through the wrist bands. Looking down at the metal around my small wrist. Something in my gut was telling me not to take it off, if I kept it on then York would know I'm safe.

I look up at John and meet his gaze before shaking my head. "No, I'm good, thank you."

He chuckled, shaking his head. "You really want to keep that on? It's a reminder of the Ark and what the council did to us. Hell, they locked you up for a crime you didn't even commit." I opened my mouth to speak but he continued. "Come on Ariella, you really expect everyone here to think that a kid like you actually did something wrong?" Leaning down to my height, he whispered, "Don't forget I've known you for a long time kid, I know you would never steal anything. So that and the fact that the council obviously saw those bruises that you tried so hard to hide and didn't say a thing, how can you not be mad at them? How could you not want to get rid of everything that reminds you of that horrible place?"

My voice was caught in my throat. The fact that he knew everything about my past, put me on edge. I didn't want anyone else to know, I never wanted anyone to know. This was going to be my fresh start. I looked down at my wrist thinking, before looking back up at John. I didn't want York to think I was dead, he was the only one watching out for me.