Chapter 11: Hunt

It has been quiet since the bombing of the bridge. No one had gone missing or killed by Grounder, giving the camp a good amount of time to prepare.

We were thriving. We had a fully useful smokehouse where we would store meat the hunters brought back. There was a good system to catch rainwater and we had round the clock guards on duty at the fence. There was a set job for everyone, we all knew our place and stuck to our schedule.

We had to be strict. The exodus ship had been pushed back due to an explosion of the Ark so we were left alone for just a while longer.

For me, I worked in the smokehouse with Octavia and a few others, which somehow included Murphy. I had tried to get Bellamy to train me with a gun so I could be a part of the watch group but he refused over and over.

Del, a rather tall criminal with raven black hair, walked into the Smokehouse where I was cutting up some rabbit and added more wood to the fire, causing the flames to rise and the heat to increase.

"You don't want the fire too big so maybe try to knock it down with some wet leaves," Octavia explained, hanging up some meat onto the wall to preserve it.

"Did you get that from your boyfriend, Grounder Pounder?" Del asked, crossing his arms. I rolled my eyes at the stupid insult.

"She's right," Murphy voiced, walking into the small area, carrying a pile of fish in his arms. "A hot fire is not going to preserve the meat as well."

Del glared at Murphy, trying to think of a comeback. "If you can't take the heat, get out of the smokehouse!" he snapped before storming out.

"Bellamy couldn't get you girls better jobs. Anything would be better than working in a meat furnace." Murphy commented, setting down the fish next to me.

I refused to even look at him, let alone speak to John Murphy. I couldn't, not after everything that has happened. He was supposed to be kicked out after he told us what he knew about the grounders but of course, Clarke talked Bellamy into letting him stay, again a horrible idea but no one ever listens to Ari.

The sound of Octavia's loud scream pulled me out of my thoughts and caused me to spin around, grabbing my knife thinking Murphy had done something. My eyes widened in shock at the sight of the wall being completely engulfed in large burning flames.

"Come on Ari, we have to get out of here!" Octavia yelled, grabbing my arm, pulling me towards the door.

Once outside we both fell to the ground, coughing up the black smoke we had just inhaled. Looking back at the smokehouse, it had become completely swallowed by flames and crumbled in on itself.

"What happened!?" Bellamy asked, rushing over and kneeling down to make sure we were okay.

Murphy angrily jumped up from the ground, shoving Del forward, gripping his shirt. "This is all your fault!" he screamed. "We told you!"

Bellamy let out an annoyed sigh before getting in the middle of the two to separate them. "Save it for the Grounders!"

"Bell, what are we going to do? That was all the food?" Octavia asked worriedly.

Whispers were heard throughout the crowd of criminals as we all looked from one another, scared for what's to come of this horrible event. For the first time since coming to the ground we hadn't been hungry, we had a system to keep us fed and now it was all gone in the blink of an eye.

It wasn't till late in the afternoon that the fire had finally been put out. All the remains of the smokehouse and our food was a pile of charcoal.

"We have to hunt." Bellamy turned to the crowd of scared and hungry teenagers. "Take anyone we can spare, we can rebuild this. There is no need to panic." The teens were in agreement, though still a little nervous due to the Grounders that were still out for blood.