As I stepped outside, I realised that it was not any better than the cafeteria. The tension could be cut with a blade and I was not entirely comfortable being here. Glares were being thrown around like knives between the two sides. I had not moved an inch, afraid that doing so would cause some sort of calamity which I definitely did not want to be a part of. I hated being in group A's courtyard and I could not wait until we could go back to our own one.

A firm tap on my shoulder made me jump, what felt like, a foot in the air. Startled, I spun around to see a familiar officer. He informed me of the fact that I had a guest, which truly made me relieved as I did not want to be anywhere near this place. It made my skin crawl.

I was a lot more excited for seeing Justin this time as, instead of using the 'phones' with a glass wall between us, I was finally deemed trustworthy enough to be able to actually sit at a table with him and communicate like a normal human being. There was more privacy, physical contact was reluctantly permitted and we received more time to talk.

Before I was allowed inside, I was thoroughly searched for anything that could be used as a weapon (and I was certain that they did the same to Justin). Eventually, I was let inside and greeted with the sight of a lonely Justin who was seated at an empty table.

His head snapped up to look at me and both of our faces were sewn into expressions of happiness, as wide smiles spread across them. Justin quickly stood up and, as I approached him, I was pulled into a tight embrace. I did not hesitate with hugging back, as I had been craving this moment for a very long time.

We were not the only ones in the room, as it had multiple tables so that more than one person could have a guest at a certain time. There were three other people in the spacious, dull room with us. One was a prisoner who I did not recognise and he was alone, meaning that the person who was meeting him was yet to be let inside. However, the other people caught my attention and it took every ounce of willpower in my body not to lash out right then and there.

Carelessly sitting with his legs resting on the table was Mike. He had that usual smug look on his face and all I wanted to do was make it go away. He was the one responsible for all bad things which happened to Vic, and I wanted to hurt him so badly for it, but unlike most people here I still had some common sense. There were two officers in the room, who would inevitably hold me back; Justin would probably help them, as he was always someone who preferred to talk things out rather than use violence; and Mike was quite a bit taller than me and more well-built. And I did not want to get into trouble; I did not want to disappoint Vic.

What caught my attention most though was not Mike. It was the person sitting opposite him. She was short and slim, with a veil of blonde hair and a tight, formal, blue dress which framed her body structure well. Just from the way they looked at each other, I could tell that there was something more than a friendship going on there.

The female looked so joyful to be talking to him and the million dollar smile never left her face. Mike was apparently too engrossed in the conversation to notice my presence, but I did not complain and decided to ignore him and talk to Justin. However, I made sure to keep in mind the fact that he was with someone. That information could somehow be useful.

I did not realise that Justin had been fighting for my attention, until I finally turned away from Mike.

"What's up?" I asked casually. Whenever my best friend visited, it was always just an act of kindness. He simply wanted to bless me with his company once in a while and talk; there was never a proper reason for it and I appreciated that. Today, however, was different.

Justin swiftly motioned for me to move closer, so I discreetly leaned across the table which stood between us. I did not want to look too suspicious, so I played it off as a nonchalant act. My friend did the same.

"I have some news of Katelynne," he murmured, only loud enough for me to hear.

As soon as that name left his mouth, I could feel my heart rate picking up. And not in the good way; in the panicked way. This had to be important, if we were being so secretive about it. I was sure that the cameras were not sensitive enough to pick up our words and the officers were only doing a half-hearted job so they would not care very much. We were in a pretty safe place.

"He left her," Justin whispered.

"Who left her?" I quizzed confusedly.

"Her boy toy."

Justin and I still did not know the name of the man Katelynne had been with, so we decided to start calling him her 'boy toy' instead. It was actually quite fitting.

"Why did he leave her?" I cocked my head to the side. Well, if you don't count the fact that she is a compulsive liar, cheater and fucking psychopath...

"I have no idea, but apparently he just randomly walked out on her and Copeland," Justin paused and took a deep breath, almost as if he did not want to tell me the next part but knew that he had to do so anyway. "Now that Katelynne is alone with a kid, she wants to move back to Michigan to live with her parents because she can't afford anything by herself. And she's obviously taking Copeland with her too."

A sinking feeling spread through my body like a dire infection. Katelynne could not move all the way from Chicago to Michigan! To most people it may not have seemed like it was that far away, but it truly felt like it. And the worst part was that I did not know where Katelynne's parents lived. The last time I saw them was the previous year's summer, but they had moved houses since then. They still lived in Michigan but I was not positive where.

I would never get to see Copeland again! I knew that Vic had promised me that I would, but she was moving away and that would be impossible. The mere knowledge that she was in the same town as me was enough to make me get out of bed, in the morning, but now there would be no hope to hold onto. Although I did feel slightly more comforted with the knowledge that Katelynne's parents would be there to supervise and make sure that she did not do anything reckless, I was still shattered.

"When are they leaving?" I asked monotonously, trying to hide the agony in my voice but failing as it broke in the middle of the question.

"Next week," Justin replied straight away. That got me thinking.

"How do you find out about all of these things?" I was genuinely puzzled about this.

"I know a lot of people," Justin shrugged.

I sighed deeply and leaned further forward, resting my head in the palms of my hands. What was I going to do now?

_____________

A/N

Hi, people! Sorry for any grammar mistakes or typos, but it's midnight and my brain is melting but I really didn't want to fuck up the updating schedule so I wrote this anyway. Also I apologise for a boring chapter, but this is just a build-up to the interesting stuff which will come in the next few updates.

Thanks for reading!