I hesitate before asking my next question.
"Was he?"
To my surprise she doesn't snap at me.
She sighs. "He worked hard, too hard. His work was his baby, his obsession. Each day he came home from the labs there was always some new discover than drove him to new extremes. I guess... I guess he wasn't completely sane but I liked that about him. I liked that he was different because I was too."
"That explains why you're so crazy."
She laughs and pushes me.
My dad steps into view now, loading his gun and explaining our plan. 

MADISON'S POV.

"Okay, we have to be careful when we get outside that gate. The street is full of walkers. You guys no the drill. Keep tight, be on guard and don't use your guns unless you're absolutely, desperately in trouble. We can't attract any more walkers with noise." Rick tells us.

He looks to me now with a hard glare, I'm glad his politeness towards me has worn off.
"Most importantly, stick together. No running off."
I rise a brow at him, aware of his dig. He brushes it off and continues towards the gate.

He thinks that we will panic and run, leaving them for dead. I honestly have no intentions of that. These people have been good to us but I'm not saying that I'd choose them over my family either. If my sisters life was at stake I would choose her over them. Without a second thought.

"We're with you. All the way." I promise him with nothing but sincerity.
He nods his head and puts away his now loaded gun swapping it for an axe. He walks forward peering around the gate.

Rosita hands me a machete and nods towards Abbie. I whisper a thanks and then place it in Abbies hands. She looks up at me with wide eyes. 
"You're gonna have to fight through this too okay?" Nick warns her as he takes a weapon of his own. 
"I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. Now listen okay? Stay tight, you can't run off if you get scared. You stay right beside me. Don't leave my sight. Got it?"
She nods slowly.

Nick clutches a crowbar tightly in his hands.
"Remember to go for the brain." He reminds us.
I give Abbie a small smile to relax her. I pull my bow off my back and load it quietly as my eyes scan our large group. I look at each of their weapons curiosity.

My eyes land on Carl who's loading a gun. He has a silencer on the barrel. The only reason he can use a gun is because he has to carry Judith.
I begin to feel the adrenaline slowly creep its way through my body. Im excited for it, in invite it into my system. I'm just happy to feel anything other than the hollowness. I have my mothers knife tucked into the waistband of my jeans just in case.

"Okay. Get ready." Rick grabs everyone's attention instantly and I feel my body bend into a protective crouch, ready for action.
Rick swings the gate open and lifts his hand to count us down.

Just as he reaches "two", Abbie jumps to life.
"Wait" she whisper-shouts.
Her small, agile body weaves swiftly through the crowd of people and back into the house.
What the hell is she doing?

Only a minute later she returns, putting something I didn't quite see into her bag.
"Okay. Sorry... Im ready now." She states as she lifts her machete up to prove her point.
Rick irritatedly counts us down again.

When it's time, we flood through the gates, keeping low and quiet. I don't glance twice at the house that was once my home. Once outside the gate we look at our surroundings.

There are walkers everywhere. Some have started to notice the movement but others don't. Not Yet.
Abbie moves beside me with her machete ready. I feel a horrible pit in my stomach when I picture Abbie so tiny up against a walker. She's doesn't even reach my shoulder yet.

I raise my loaded arrow and start to run down the street along with the group. Nick is ahead of me, he's running next to Michonne and Glenn. He's having no problem as he takes out walkers with his crowbar, giving me a heart attack each time he does.

I have to start paying attention to my own surroundings or i'll get both me and Abbie killed. The further up the street the more walkers there seems to be and the more nervous I get.

A walker is getting close to me and Abbie so I take it out and quickly sprint over and retrieve my arrow again without losing speed.
"You okay, Abbie?"
"Yeah." She puffs.
I look ahead to see that Daryl, Rick, Sasha and Bob are surround by at least three walkers per person.
This is gonna end badly

Rick gets a walker in the head with his axe but then one is coming too close to him and another has grabbed his arm from behind. I can see the look on Carls face when he see's his dad but he's trying to fight off two walkers of his own.
I look at Abbie. "Go stay beside Nick, be safe."
She runs and I run the opposite way running towards Rick he almost has the walker that grabbed his arm but the other walker is practically on top of him. I'm close enough now to see whats happening to everyone. I send an arrow into the walker at ricks arm, but when the walker falls it drags him down with it. I shoot the next walker before it can fall on top of him. I run to his side and give him my hand to help him up.
Michonne has easily cleared off her walkers in seconds along with Daryl who are helping Sasha and Bob.
Rick pats my shoulder and nods in thanks I nod back.

I run back to Abbie and Nick. When i've nearly reached Nick and Abbie I hear someone call my name, sounding panicked. I turn to the voice and find Carl pointing behind me. I know that whatever is behind me will get to me before I get to it.
I turn around just in time to see a walker right in my face and Abbie kick her leg out with as much force as possible. I hear a crunch come from the walkers leg and it falls to the ground. I'm to stunned to realise that Abbie has just put her machete through the walkers head.
Abbie has killed a walker.
Abbie could have just died because of me.
Abbie lierally just saved my life.
I look to her and see her face is filled with shock and smugness all at once.

Someone comes up from behind me pushing me forward to start running again. I grab Abbies sleave and tug on it to start her running too. Nick is very shocked but follows us. I turn to see who got me running again.
Carl.
"Jesus Mads, you scared the life out of me. I thought you were as good as dead." He breaths.
"Yeah me too." I admit.
"You alright?" He asks
"Fine." I pant and keep running beside Nick, Abbie and Carl. He's still holding Judith and with each step he takes her head bobbles back and forth. She thinks this is hilarious due to the smile on her face. If only she knew the real situation we were in.

After what seems like another long time we finally find another street that seems like ghost town. All walkers have evacuated or something because I can't see any around. When we notice this we all slow to a walk. I'm tired but i'm not falling over yet. As for Abbie she looks like she'll pass out any minute. I pull her to my side and put my arm around her shoulder, suporting her as she puts her weight onto my side. We walk onwards hoping to find some sort of car or something to get out of here so we can get away from here. We just have to keep walking and see what happens.