4

Elliot

I open the front door and step in. As far as my eyes can see, I don't see anybody hovering nearby. I run for the stairs, two steps at a time.

"Elliot I'd be very glad if you stop by and have a chat with me"

"GOD Mom you scared the hell out of me. What are you doing sitting there like a statue and scaring people?" my heart almost came pounding out of my chest. Mom would definitely make a good creepy stalker.

All the same I didn't like that tone of mom's, it means lecture. I'm sure I hate Mr.River more than anybody else in this world, well except....

Hesitantly I walk towards our small private parlor and stand by the door.

"Please come in and have a seat" mom says, purely mocking me. I take the seat opposite her and wait for the inevitable.

"As you may have already guessed Mr.River called and told me that It was the 7th time he had found you and Ms.Montgomery chatting in his class."

I've always found it awkward and irritating to hear my parents call Lyra 'Ms.Montgomery'. I sigh.

"Why Elliot? do you know how angry father would be if he ever found out?" Mom made a sad face, disappointment written all over her face. This was getting very annoying like always. I do know what'll happen if father found out, he would lock me up and make me study anything and everything for 24 hrs.

"Why do you have to waste your time with that girl? you should be friends with the Falcons and the Bowman's. Instead of that girl, she and her family don't have any ambition"

Okay this is starting to go somewhere else, out of topic. I curl my fists tight and round and try my best to keep them at my sides.

"what rubbish did you two chat huh?" I.can't.take.it.anymore.

" We were talking about how lucky she was to have parents who understood her so much and allowed her to follow her passion, so very unlike you and father" I stand up, grab my bag and turn around.

"Oh and do not call Lyra 'that girl' in front of me" I add.

Mom just sits there; transfixed. Her eyes wide, processing this sudden outburst of mine. Her lips part.

I don't wait to hear anything else from her. I storm out of the parlor and run up the stairs. Two steps at a time.

**********************************************************************************************

I flung myself straight at the bed. My face hits the soft lavender smelling cover of my pillow. After a moment without breath, I turn myself; inhaling fresh air. I can feel my cheeks burning. I look through the window glass at the sky.

Enough is enough.

I sit up straight and my gaze lands on the bookshelf. My eyes widen with pure bewilderment and my lips part into a perfect 'o' shape. My once overfilled bookshelf is empty.

Empty

Not a single book left behind.

"EFFIE" I shout at the top of my lungs, calling out for Effie our age old housekeeper. "I'm in the kitchen; Ellie dearie" Effie shouts back. I absolutely adore her for this easy-going nature of her's and also she is the only one living in this horrible mansion who doesn't judge me. She has been in our family since Mom and Dad got married.

I take the backstairs to get to the kitchen. I find her cooking delicious duck meat. Yum, Yum.

My books. Right; how can I forget?