One Shot #16

Emma took a deep breath as she fixed her dress in the mirror, trying to breathe in her uncomfortable corset. She huffed in exaggeration and decided to just be uncomfortable. Trudging down the steps to the entrance hall, Emma grumbled to no one about her hatred of balls. Who was this one for again? Some diplomat or king or something? Frankly, she didn't care, the sooner this night was over, the quicker Emma could sneak out to the tavern. Three months ago, her studies and worries has become too much for her, so the princess disguised herself and snuck out to the local tavern for a drink. After some rum, the night had taken a drastic turn and she found her self making out with a pirate in the shadowy corners of the tavern. The next night, Emma had returned for another drink, when she saw the pirate again, this time stopping to talk before shoving her tounge down his throat. She had learned that Captain Hook, as he was called, was a nasty and ruthless one-handed pirate who ruled the seas, he was a merciless killer and plunderer, and Emma found her self head over heels in love with him. When she had seen him last, he had just returned from a month long voyage and had proclaimed his love for Emma, and she had showered his in kisses and told him how she had been waiting to hear him admit it. Hook had asked her to run away with him so they could sail the realms together and Emma had undoubtibly said yes. Tonight would be her last night in the castle. Sure, she'd have to leave her younger brother James as heir to the throne, but he would make a better ruler than her, anyway. Her leaving would be best for everyone.

"Emma! You look beautiful!" Snow, Emma's mother, exclaimed, rushing out to greet her. Blushing, Emma politely curtsied to her mother, but, lucily, she was saved from having to make any awkward conversation by Jame's appearance. Her younger brother of five years looked extremely handsome in his suit, his girlfriend Lily was a lucky girl.

"You look nice." Emma smiled at him, taking his arm so that he could escort her to the ballroom.

"So do you, sis. I bet all the guys will be drooling over you." James replied, "But if they get to close, make sure they know I have my sword on me." He added for good measure, patting his sheathed weapon. Emma rolled her eyes and jabbed her elbow into his ribs.

"Hey!" James complained, scowling a little, Emma just smirked as they came to the top of the stairs. She could just make out the dancing figures below.

"Now announcing: Princess Emma and Prince James!" the harold called to the crowd as theY began desecding the grand staircase. The partygoers all bowed low at their arrival, Emma and James politely smiling back. When they reached the bottome, the harold began to speak again.

"Welcome Queen Snow and King Charming!" he yelled, trumpets blaring as their parents descended, looking as perfect as ever.

"James." Emma whispered into his ear. He gave her an annoyed look and poked her stomach.

"What is it now?"

"Who's this ball for again?" Emma whispered, and James gave her a look that read: 'Seriously?'.

"Oh c'mon, sis." James rolled his eyes, looking exasperated, "I'm proposing to Lily tonight." Recognation clicked in Emma's mind, then annoyance at herself. Her little brother was proposing and she had forgotten! At least Lily would make an amazing queen, when Emma left, that is.

"Are you sure 20 isn't too young to be getting married?" Emma asked, as she and James wove through the swarms of people.

"I love her, Emma. You might not know what love is like, but I do, and this is it." Emma's heart ached at that. She did know love, and wanted nothing more than to be with Hook right now, to waltz together on the dance floor, sneaking kisses every time he twirled her. But her father would never except that, so Hook would remain her secret.

"Well, I'm happy for you James." Emma smiled patting him on the back. James gave her a smirk before dashing off to find his bride-to-be, and Emma found herself alone in the middle of it all.

"Care to dance m'lady?" A voice came from behind her, it almost sounded like- no, it wasn't possible, he couldn't be here. Turning around, Emma found herself face to face with Prince Samuel, King Fredrick and Queen Abigail's son, and disappointed flooded her. She was stupid to assume that Hook would be here. Samuel was a very handsome prince, Emma used to have a major crush on him when she was a teenager, but after finding her true love, she knew that Samuel had no place in her life.

"I'd love to," As much as she wanted to turn him down, she knew the night would go faster if she was doing something. Besides, it wasn't polite.
Samuel took her hand and led her unto the dance floor where they began to waltz, making small talk as they spun. Emma's heart wasn't in the dance though, her mind was already in the tavern, talking and laughing with Hook. Suddenly, a shadow of black caught her eye, but when she looked again, it was gone. Why did her mind always wander back to her pirate? He's not here, Emma she reminded herself, but she still snuck brief glances around the room as she and Samuel danced. They waltzed through three songs before Samuel let her go, and she immediately retreated to a chair to rest her aching feet. Just when she thought she could catch a break, another voice interrupted her.

"I'd thought also try my luck at a dance with the lovely princess." There was no mistaking this voice for anyone else. Sure, she'd been seeing things all night, but this was really truly him.

"What are you doing here?" Emma hissed, spinning around in her chair to face Hook. He stepped back, clearly shocked at her hostile reaction.

"I couldn't wait another moment without you." Hook grinned at her, extending a hand. "And I don't normally dance, so cherish the moment while it lasts, love." Emma smiled and took his hand as he led her to the dance floor. They twirled and danced as one, enjoying each other's company. Emma didn't even worry about what her father would think, Hook had ditched his pirate clothes for formal wear, he looked like any regular prince. After a song or two (Emma lost track of time) they sat down, breathless and blissful. Emma rested her head on his shoulder and took his good hand.
"Thank you for coming, Hook." Emma smiled up at him, "It was a great last night here," he raised an eyebrow at her.

"You still want to run away with me?" he asked in disbelief.

"Of course I do, this isn't the life I want. I want to be with you." She smiled, Hook smiled back.

"Where you are, that's where I want to be."